Go to navigation
It is currently Sun Dec 04, 2016 6:09 am

All times are UTC




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 68 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next
Author Message
 Post subject: 11+ for September 2008
PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2008 9:11 am 
Offline

Joined: Wed May 14, 2008 9:02 am
Posts: 39
Location: West Kent
Hello everybody

I'm new here and I have an only daughter currently in year 5 so no experience of 11+ before so please bear with me if I am being "thick"!!

My question is this:-

My daughter attends a very small village primary in the Tonbridge area. The school won't give any parent any indication of whether or not children are to be put forward for taking the 11+ in Year 6 until after the results of the SATS they are taking this week.

Is this normal? I am surprised because if, from what I have been reading here, a child is to take the 11+ it may only be 4 months away from now and 6 weeks of that is summer holiday - giving little time for extra tuition which appears most children need.

When I question the class teacher I only get a vague reply along the lines of "she is a very capable girl".

Her end of term report last year (year 4) gave a NVR score of over 120 and level 4 or level 5 in all subjects.

Can anybody help or advise please?


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2008 9:44 am 
Offline

Joined: Wed Jan 11, 2006 7:10 pm
Posts: 8199
Location: Buckinghamshire
Hi Jane

The school is hedging it's bets for political reasons. If they wait for the SATs results before deciding, then only the brightest kids will take the test and therefore the school's pass rate will look better. They will probably sell the idea to parents as being "the fairest thing for the child not to put them through the stress of the test if they are unlikely to pass, etc". :roll:

Your daughter sounds as though she would be very good 11+ material, so ignore the school and start preparing her now. You can DIY to start with - there is plenty of advice all over the Forum as to what preparation to do - and sign her up with a tutor if you feel that is the route you want to take.

The school cannot prevent a child taking the test anyway, so if GS is what you want for her, go right ahead. :D

Edit: The Kent 11+ tests are in January, so you have 6 months to prepare from the SATs results. Most people continue with tuition through the summer holidays at a sensible level.

Sally-Anne


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2008 11:02 am 
Offline

Joined: Wed May 14, 2008 9:02 am
Posts: 39
Location: West Kent
Sorry I thought the test was going to be in September - am I wrong?


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2008 11:35 am 
Offline

Joined: Wed Jan 11, 2006 7:10 pm
Posts: 8199
Location: Buckinghamshire
Hi Jane

There is no decision on timing yet. There was a consultation process on whether the test results should be known before parents complete the CAF, and 60% were in favour of that.

That would mean the test being brought foward to the 3rd week of September.

The last I think we knew was that a decision would be made by the end of May.

It's not an easy situation for you, but I am guessing that many people will be in the same boat as you on timing, so they won't have a particular advantage. If you start now and use some of the summer holiday you still have enough time to prepare.

Sally-Anne


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2008 11:36 am 
Offline

Joined: Mon Jun 18, 2007 2:32 pm
Posts: 6963
Location: East Kent
We still haven;t officially heard but there has been a consultation on moving the tests to September. General consensus is that it is going to happen. Should be easier because you will have teh tests before applyiing for schools.

Does your daughter want to go to the grammar school? I she is bright and capable and that is what she wants I would go for it..


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2008 1:22 pm 
Jane
I don't quite know what you mean when you say that the school haven't told you which children "are to be put forward" for the Kent test. That is the parents' decision not the school's decision. If you want your child to apply to a Kent grammar school she will sit the tests; if not, she won't!

In previous years Kent CC told primary schools which of their pupils were sitting the tests (and sent them the right number of papers) after seeing which families had named a grammar school on their child's CAF. I'm not sure how it will work if the tests move to September but I'm sure that it will still be your choice as to whether your child is entered, not the school's.

Your primary school can give you advice on which secondary schools they think might suit your daughter and, maybe, on her chances of getting a place. The final decision on where to apply is, however, entirely yours.


Top
  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2008 3:35 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sat Mar 01, 2008 9:28 am
Posts: 77
Quote:
There is no decision on timing yet. There was a consultation process on whether the test results should be known before parents complete the CAF, and 60% were in favour of that.


Of Year 5 parents consulted, 40% responded. Of those respondents, 60% agreed with scheme B ie testing before preference.

So actually, in statistically accurate terms, 10.8% of Year 5 parents opted for testing before preference.

I felt clarification was essential here. :)


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2008 5:08 pm 
Offline

Joined: Wed Jan 11, 2006 7:10 pm
Posts: 8199
Location: Buckinghamshire
Alternatively put, 60% didn't give a hoot, so by opting out they chose to go with the majority view, which was 60% in favour.

It rather reminds me of people who say that they never bother to vote and then complain bitterly, and at tedious length, about the shortcomings of their local council or the government. :lol:


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2008 5:15 pm 
Sally-Anne
It is perhaps worth noting that here in Kent parents opt IN to the 11+, not out. There is no expectation that all or most children will sit the exams; about half do not. So of the 60% who didn't reply the large majority probably don't intend their child to sit the 11+ anyway. Amongst those who do, a much higher percentage will have responded.


Top
  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2008 5:29 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sat Mar 01, 2008 9:28 am
Posts: 77
Sally-Anne wrote:
Alternatively put, 60% didn't give a hoot, so by opting out they chose to go with the majority view, which was 60% in favour.

It rather reminds me of people who say that they never bother to vote and then complain bitterly, and at tedious length, about the shortcomings of their local council or the government. :lol:


It also sounds like George Bush: "If you're not with us, you're against us."

Parents sometimes don't respond because consultation documents confuse them, and it is those least able to access what they perceive as the best educational opportunities for their child who lose out...always.

Another view is that the 10.8% who voted for scheme B are regular contributors to this forum. :wink:

However, in terms of statistical surveys the 10.8% still remains, since raw statistics cannot make presumptions.


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 68 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next

All times are UTC


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
CALL 020 8204 5060
   
Privacy Policy | Refund Policy | Disclaimer | Copyright © 2004 – 2016