11+ for September 2008

Eleven Plus (11+) in Kent

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
Janedingdong

Post by Janedingdong »

Thanks guys for your replies.

Yes, I am going to take a few bits and pieces in terms of papers away with me as we are visiting family for the whole 6 weeks of the hols and won't have access to any tutors, etc in Spain, but I'm not going to push it - after all what will be will be.

Your comments Kentish Maid remind me of something an old neighbour (a retired primary head) said to me and I quote

"my dear, if any child needs tutoring to pass their 11+, then they will struggle at a Grammar School and will suffer in the long run"

If only thats what everybody thought these days, and we didn't have this whole competitive thing, then we wouldn't need to go through this horrible rigmarole.

On the other hand perhaps we might win the lottery and could emigrate to some exotic far flung country with better weather and a better education system.

Jane
kentmum1

Post by kentmum1 »

It's a nice thought, but it's never going to happen! I think the majority of parents tutor whether the child really needs it or not. This is not a decision based on their intelligence level but because much of the test is simply unfamiliar. The non-verbal would be alien even to the brightest of children, if they had never had any exposure to it and had to complete each question in less than a minute! If the tests were more like SATS, then that view would be more valid, as all the questions are covered within the curriculum. Ultimately, it would be extremely rare to find a child that has had no exposure to some practice papers before the test. I have often heard people scaremongering that tutored children will go on to struggle at grammar school but have very rarely come across this in reality. I think most parents have thought very carefully about putting down a grammar school, based on both tutors, teachers and their gut instincts, to know that their child should not struggle.
zorro

Post by zorro »

Jane,
I thought SAT's were done in Yr 6 as my Ds has just done them (KS2)
Why has your child done them in Y5?
kentmum1

Post by kentmum1 »

My son has just done 'optional' sats at the end of year 5. As well as the compulsory ones at the end of Y2 and Y6, our school also does their own sats at the end of the other year groups.
yoyo123

Post by yoyo123 »

QCA tests are often caled "optional sat's" they follow the ame format and are useful for getting children accustomed to teh format of teh actual sats papers. Also means that an accurate NC level can be obtained
Janedingdong

Post by Janedingdong »

Yes - our school also does Sats at the end of each year for all children in KS2. I believe it is optional for years 3, 4 and 5 and I was told that it is only the Y2 and Y6 papers that get independently marked by outsiders - the others years just get theirs marked by the school teachers themselves.

Jane
yoyo123

Post by yoyo123 »

That's right Jane, although there is a strict marking scheme for QCA tests and most schools moderate ythe results to make sure that marking is consistent across the school. It is quite an art deciphering level descriptions!
scepticpeg

Post by scepticpeg »

[quote="Janedingdong"]
Your comments Kentish Maid remind me of something an old neighbour (a retired primary head) said to me and I quote

"my dear, if any child needs tutoring to pass their 11+, then they will struggle at a Grammar School and will suffer in the long run"

Bang On!

We are just weighing up pros/cons of sending eldest daughter to sit 11+ test in Brum in Nov. I think she is borderline bright enough with two level 5's and a level 4 at the end of Year 5 and is also a July baby so will benefit from standardisation.

We have bought sample papers/practice tests and allow her to take them at her own pace and only when she is in the mood...which isn't that often!

If she proves to be naturally talented enough to get into Grammar School then that's great. If not I am more than happy for her to go to a comprehensive. In some ways being a 'big fish' might suit her temperament.

Tutoring for the brightest is unnecessary...tutoring for the borderline candidates is in the long-term questionable and in a few extreme cases downright cruel. Show me the overcoached kid at 11 and i will show you the stressed out drop out at 16, 18 or 21.

I just wish people would chill a bit. After all what excatly do we want for our kids..big house, big car, highly paid job with all the attendant pressures and stresses of never being away from the laptop/Blackberry etc or to be well-adjusted, happy and intelligent individuals?
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now