New here!

Eleven Plus (11+) in Kent

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

twellsmum

New here!

Post by twellsmum »

Hi, this website was recommended to me by a friend. I live in Tunbridge Wells and I have a daughter who is just about to go into Year 6. We are hoping she will be going to Tunbridge Wells Girls' Grammar School (TWGGS to those in teh know). Anyone else on here from Tunbridge Wells?
perplexed

Post by perplexed »

Apparently not!! Or have you had lots of PMs?

Is there anything you particularly want to know?

I live about 23 minutes drive from TW.
twellsmum

New here!

Post by twellsmum »

Hi Perplexed!

No, not heard a thing from anyone else here in the wilderness of West Kent. There was nothing specific I wanted to ask just wondered if there was anyone else from my area on here. Whereabouts are you and whihc school are you hoping for?

Francesca
wardie

Post by wardie »

Hi twellsmum

I too live in T Wells but have a son so we are hoping for Boys Grammar.

I noticed on one of your other posts that you are using bond for VR. May I suggest ips ( available on line through this site ) It covers the 15 types that kent use and also the 21 if you want to cover your options.

I believe bond do 50 types so I wouldn't like you to be wasting time.
This site is so very helpful and it was trawling through it that I found this piece of useful info.

They do 2 daily practice books which we will be using through the hols - only takes a few mins a day and keeps ds ticking over.

The other books we will use are bond 10 mis tests for Maths and NVR and a full nfer test each week under timed conditions.

It is lovely to know others are here and in the same boat.
:D

I don't know where ds came in his class but his test results were
Maths 128 VR 124 and NVR 121

I was rather surpised by the NVR score as he has been roaring though the papers with 80-90% but it appears other parents also felt this.

Good luck and best wishes.

Wardie X
kentish maid

Post by kentish maid »

Hi

My daughter is in year 5 and will take the test in September. We live about 30 mins from TW and so did not look at TWIGGs. It would be too difficult logistically to travel there, let alone trying to obtain a score high enough to win one of the out of catchment places.

My DD likes Weald although again we may lose out geographically leaving Tonbridge Grammar as our other choice. I am not sure whether DD will get good enough scores to get into the super selective but we looked round it just in case.

I think we both preferred Weald, although both are good schools. The buildings at Weald were obviously nicer, though TOGs will be better when rebult. I think my daughter also got on better with the girl showing us round Weald.

My DD is an all rounder so she cant chose on specializim. Travel wise there is nothing to chose from. Does anyone with DD's at the schools have any insights on what they are really like? Even if DD gets a score to get into TOGs i am concerned it might be too pressurised an environment.
twellsmum

New here

Post by twellsmum »

Hi Wardie

Glad to hear that there is someone else from TW on here! My DD got 126 for maths, 121 for verbal reasoning and 137 for NVR.

Thanks for the tip about IPS too - I do have some of their books as I really needed an idiot parent guide when we started doing this and they looked good. (I was wonderng how I ever managed to pass but apparently they did not do VR and NVR thirty years ago!).

Francesca
twellsmum

New here!

Post by twellsmum »

Hi kentish Maid

Good to hear from you too. We looked round Weald also but did not bother with ToGs. DD1 would not get a high enough score to get there adn even if she did, I don't see the point on getting on a bus when there is a perfectly good grammar on the doorstep!! I must admit I am relieved that we are in TW with TWGGS admitting on catchment mainly. I have a friend in Chiddingstone whose daughter would get into grammar easily if she lived in TW but has to pass really high to get into either ToGs or TWGGS.

I did like Weald but DD1 preferred TWGGS and I think most of the girls from her school will be going there (this year and last year I think 19 girls went from each year).

Francesca
cindy

Post by cindy »

Hi,

My daughter will be starting at Weald this Sept. I know of another two girls who go there. They dont seem to have as much homework as my sons school TWBG, but I think this is a good thing. My son has been under some pressure with the longer travel, then homework, but still does o.k.
Be careful to find out what type of test your daughter will be taking, is it the multi choice answer? this makes a difference to the type of familurisation she needs.
My daughter had NO formal tuition, which is unusual. she did about 20mins a day or every other day. I marked them at the weekends only. After a couple of weeks I was able to spot her weak points and cover those. Then a few week bfore the test we worked on timing, just to give her a clue how long she had. Also, then stressed that if she was not sure to go onto the next question and come back at the end.
I did use the carrot and stick approach. she was offered some money to spend how she wanted, if she passed. This did seem to motivate her.
She spent the time she was not practicing deciding what to spend the money on!

Good luck

Cindyx