Time during exam

Eleven Plus (11+) in Kent

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

tonbridgemum

Time during exam

Post by tonbridgemum »

My tutor informed my son that during the NVR paper he would be told at each section the time and to move on to the next set of questions. I have no reason to doubt our tutor, but i havent heard or read anything about this on this forum. Can someone confirm this? :?
For my son, who is a little slow on the practice papers he has done, i can only assume this would benefit him as he wouldnt get too bogged down in one section before moving onto the next but i wonder if it may put some children off their stride.
Any thoughts appreciated.
neurotic kent mum

Post by neurotic kent mum »

I can confirm this happened last year with my son -moved on after time up for each section.
yoyo123

Post by yoyo123 »

yes, for the nvr paper.
perplexed

perplexed

Post by perplexed »

If they have any time left over at the very end, can they go back to questions in earlier sections that they guessed?

Why is it done like this for just NVR - it sounds a weird way of running an exam? I would have disliked the interruptions.
WesterhamMum

Post by WesterhamMum »

My daughter finds this really irritating as there are a couple of sections where she finishes with a minute or two to spare and then another couple of sections where she only gets up to about question 8 out of 12 before she runs out of time.

I guess there is nothing to stop them putting a guess in a blank box from the section before if they have the time, as they do not have to turn over the paper or anything.
dadofkent

Post by dadofkent »

In NVR there are a couple of practice questions before thwe timed questions commence. Told DS to just put any old tick down for the practice questions, and use the available time to look at the proper questions.Whether he was actually able to do this in practice I am not sure.
shuff

Re: perplexed

Post by shuff »

perplexed wrote:If they have any time left over at the very end, can they go back to questions in earlier sections that they guessed?

Why is it done like this for just NVR - it sounds a weird way of running an exam? I would have disliked the interruptions.
Maybe one reason for having the split sections is that the answer sheet doesn't have any answers as such, just a,b,c,d,e. It is possible, as proved by my daughter in her practice paper, that you can answer the questions out of sequence without realising it. If you had no split in the whole paper you could get to the end with all the answers out by one. At least this way you can notice an error at the end of the sections!
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now