Not Long Now...

Eleven Plus (11+) in Kent

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
One Down

Not Long Now...

Post by One Down »

Very quiet in Kent....how's everything going out there?

DD2's school are having a mad last-minute push on maths, which she is most displeased about as her maths seem fine. Worst of all, she's in no state to do anything when she comes home and seems a little stressed by the overload. Best laid plans etc..

When are your practice tests? Ours are all on Weds, which seems too much so close to the tests themselves, but I know other schools are doing them earlier in the week and some this week even.
2childmum

Post by 2childmum »

Hi - we are out of county so the practice is this Saturday and the test the following Saturday - inbetween my son is sitting the Bexley test too - and now trying to decide whether to try for St Olaves (in Orpington) - not sure I can cope with another one after these two sets!

He keeps bringing home loads of homework which is relevant to the tests (mainly maths) but I suspect not as hard as the real thing will be. I would like him to practise for the actual thing but he is shattered by the end of the day, so I have pretty much given up now - what will be will be and I just want it over and done with now!

Good luck to everyone taking the tests!

Just the wait for the results to get through.....
tonbridgemum

Post by tonbridgemum »

Hello, we have had no information yet as to when our practice papers are even though they have been back a week! My son says they arent doing any practice, but that may be just 'boy speak'! Really stressed but trying to not let it show. When we do practice at home there still seem to be gaps in the Maths but I keep telling myself 'he's only just 10!'
I'm still struggling to get my son out of bed in the morning so goodness knows how awake he will be atthe start of the tests! Lets hope its not 9 o'clock sharp! :shock:
2childmum

Post by 2childmum »

We have to get our son from SE London To Gravesend for 8.30am! He is not impressed - and I can't say I am either! I think he will be braindead by the time it's finished!
kentish maid

Post by kentish maid »

Our practise tests are i believe this Friday and possibly Monday. DD hasn't mentioned them nor have we had any info from the school. This is from another parent who asked HT.

The school has not given out any homework, nor are they doing any extra work for the tests in school. Rumours abound the playground of other state schools who have provided assistance over the holidays as well as after school clubs that are designed to help children pass. I knew the local private schools did this but if the rumours are true then it is a very unlevel playing field out there. I am hoping parent paranoia is wrong on this but who knows. Thank god there is only another week to go. Good luck to eveyone Stay sane :mrgreen:
best for son

Post by best for son »

Hi there.

Our practice tests are Thursday and Friday. Does anyone else know whether thier ones are marked?

Our school does not mark them, but I don't think I'll tell DS as it might make things worse.

Will be really glad when its all over and have told myself, what will be will be.

Stressed out mum
One Down

Post by One Down »

Goodness, there are lots of us still here all quietly stressed! It can't come soon enough now.

DD had a less intense day today so we finally managed to work through some revision questions together, which was good. I suppose now it's pretty much what they don't know now, they'll never know (well not for this test, anyway!) Remember, it's only 50% to pass (maybe 55% to allow for standardisation!) and many children pull it out on the day.

We're on the last leg now, it'll soon be over
twellsmum

Post by twellsmum »

Our practice tests are tomorrow and Friday. DD is getting freaked out by one girl in her class who is constantly telling hte others that she is doing two papers per day (on top of school!) and getting 90%+! It's not only my DD but also her friend that this girl is upsetting. Fortunately we have managed to calm our DDs down but I could cheerfully throttle this other girl! I told my DD to just think that this girl has to get higher marks as she is seven months older than her (eight months older than her friend) and just to ignore her but not sure if it is getting through.

Our school have been doing lots of extra maths for the 11+ children and none of them are getting any formal homework from school this week or next but I am not doing too much with my DD - we just do twenty minutes to half an hour per evening plus a bit of "mental maths" walking to and fro school.

Just printed out my 50% off Pizza Hut voucher for the Friday evening once it is all over!
One Down

Post by One Down »

Hi twellsmum,
There seems to be one of those children in every class. You could point out to your daughter that, if this girl is really doing so well, why does she need to keep practising so much - it might make your DD laugh! Also might be worth mentioning to the teacher, as there are still quite a few school days to go. Maybe she could have a word with the class in general.
We had a problem first time round with a girl who burst in to tears at the drop of a hat, saying she was bound to fail. Cruelly, keeping away from her on the day was the only way to stop DD1 feeling she was 'doomed' too. Mostly boys taking it this year, so maybe not so much of a problem (not cool to cry in front of other boys!)

I woke up with a cold this morning - am really regretting sharing a Flake with DD2 yesterday in a most unhygienic manner. Suppose seven days is long enough to get over a cold......?

DD2 has chosen the 'all you can eat' chinese restaurant for Friday's treat!
kentmum1

Post by kentmum1 »

We'll be just across the road in Wagamamas!!! We have just joined a new school and all the Y6 parents are planning a Friday celebration. Have to say it wasn't something I had thought about as we didn't do this last time but this is an extremely supportive and caring school - what a difference!!! Their practice tests were yesterday and today and DS has told me that they don't mark them but burn them afterwards (lthey really are top secret!). It's simply just a run through of the routine of the actual day. I have also heard a group of girls saying "I got 96% last night", "well I got 100%, so I going to get 140!". My DS just stands there looking bemused by the whole thing. However, he has suddenly started being more co-operative about maths practice but maybe it's now too late!!!!