Viewing schools.... how is everyone doing?

Eleven Plus (11+) in Kent

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

deni

What happens if you need to appeal?

Post by deni »

Does anyone know what happens if you narrowly miss the selective score and decide you want to appeal, how do you rank the schools on your application form. Should we still put on a grammar school as first preference even if we miss the selective score by a few points? But if we do that and go for appeal, what happens to our first choice of non-selective schools on the preferences?
Mum007

Post by Mum007 »

Deni, my understanding is that in that scenario you must put the grammar school as first preference, then you would be able to go for appeal for that school. I'm sorry I'm not entirely sure what you mean by the next question. There are quite a few scenarios in the big book (or online) which may help you work it through.
Mum007

Post by Mum007 »

We went to visit another non-selective school. I am now seriously worried as this is the one that we would be given if all else fails. It was pitiful - the curriculum is very poor but might suit non-academic kids. I have a young scientist to nurture, not a cook or artist. As for the results they are really twisted. I expect some people would be sucked in by them though.

One more non-selective to go, but we are out of catchment even though we live little more than a mile away. Because of housing built between us and the school the catchment area has become smaller and smaller. Such a shame as it promises to be a good school.

Oh, this game is so tiring. What on earth would it have been like if you had to guess whether your child had passed or not when putting the schools on the SCAF?
shuff

Post by shuff »

You know, I think it is almost worse this year visiting these schools with the uncertainty of a pass or fail or high enough score hanging over us. All the staff at the schools look at us with such sympathy, and saying "waiting for those scores aren't you?" At least before, we wondered round the schools with a more relaxed attitude knowing the results would be a thing of the future and not imminent!!
Tracy

Post by Tracy »

Deni,

If your child fails the 11+ by a whisker but you still want the grammar school, put the grammar as option 1 on the CAF. Grammar schools have waiting lists for those who fail by one or two marks and VERY occasionally (don't get your hopes up) they offer places to those near misses. On top of that you will be able to appeal for non-admission re selectivity.

In the meantime you will be offered option 2 IF you meet the criteria there. Check the admissions criteria eg siblings, distance etc. So, in theory, you would put your local comp as option 2. If you are not happy with this then put in another comp that you would be happier with as option 2 and move your local comp to option 3.

Depending on where you live and how many options you have, I'd put 2 or 3 grammars on the CAF for a near miss except the heavily oversubscribed ones. You never know what might happen..... 8)
deni

Post by deni »

Thanks Tracy - the information you've given is extremely useful and gives me a clearer picture of how it works.
Has anyone out there got any views on either Erith or Cleeve Park schools as non-selectives. We'll be visiting both this week.
Tracy

Post by Tracy »

Erith - look well beyond that Ofsted report! Please visit during the day, the behaviour here needs to be seen to be believed.

Cleeve Park - don't rely on previous rumours. Yes this school had its problems many years ago but now it's by far the best mixed comp in the borough.
KR

Had my eyes opened

Post by KR »

I went to see Coopers, my fall back school, and I was pleasantly shocked.

In terms of presentations theirs was the best both in content and ICT delivery.

And in some ways what she was saying was the same speech as Bronmley High!!

Also I have heard very positive things about how the new head is making great changes.

They are by far way ahead of all the grammars in terms of ICT and embedding it in the curriclum. very impressive.

Also a sense of fun and personality came over.

School building very shabby - chewing gum all over the Humanities carpet!

As a point of reassurance they apply setting in all subjects.

I also went to see Beaverwood, Head's speech was good unfortunately the girls don't seem to share her vision!

Looking forward to seeing Chis and Sid and Wilmington next week - do both allocate on catchment and 11plus score?

Darford Girls: can someone explain how they allocate for out of county children.

Thanks and keep smiling (remind me I said that next year when I have to make my selections!!!)
fluffy

Post by fluffy »

has anyone been to the new spires academy for a visit, if so what did you think?
Tracy

Post by Tracy »

KR, I thought your comments on Beaverwood were spot on, I was there too!

I went to Dartford Girls and asked about out of county applicants.
The school has about 8 different catagories. The first major category is siblings followed by those at nearby primaries. After that comes those with very high aggregate scores ie the top 10%.

When I asked for more detailed info I was told that within each category the scores are ranked. So that means from where we are in Bexleyheath, my dd would need to do very well to have a chance of a place there. Last year cat 8 girls took up 29 places whereas the year before it was just 8.

Hope this helps.