new academy Bradbourne/Wilderness

Eleven Plus (11+) in Kent

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
kentish maid

new academy Bradbourne/Wilderness

Post by kentish maid »

We couldn't make the open evening for Bradbourne last night. I wondered if the head had said anything about the proposed merger and new school.

I get the feeling that it will definitely happen but there doesn't seem to be much info around. Its difficult to make choices when you don't know the full picture.
perplexed

Post by perplexed »

I might be wrong, but I thought that Bradbourne and Wildernesse were never over-subscribed. If this is the case, you don't need to use up a space on your CAF for them, as you can get a place there straight after the initial allocation of places if you don't like what you get through your CAF. You might be allocated Bradbourne / Wildernesse / the new academy anyhow if everything else on your form is full.
giddy

Post by giddy »

We went to Bradbourne last night. The Head did mention the merger with Wilderness but only to say that the proposal has been put forward but nothing is confirmed. However, she did say she is supporting the proposal and thinks it can only be for the best. If it happens then the schools will merge from Sept 09 and will become Sevenoaks Academy. She didn't know how this would work logistically until the new building is completed in 2012/13.

From people that I have spoken to, most seen to be of the opinion that the uncertainty is not good and are concerned about the disruption to their children's education (not my opinion I hasten to add).

Bradbourne is always over subscribed but Wilderness is generally not.
cpfcc

Sevenoaks Academy

Post by cpfcc »

Can we really believe that this Academy will benefit both schools or is it really an admission that the authorities have given up hope of improving Wildernesse. Wildernesse is undersubscribed with failing results. Bradbourne is oversubscribed with improving results. What have the girls at Bradbourne to gain from joining with a failing school – nothing? The proper solution would be to address the failings at Wildernesse rather than drag Bradbourne down by disrupting the education of its pupils. It has been suggested that single sex education will be maintained but in reality this is a smokescreen as it cannot be properly achieved. Many parents send the sons and daughters to these schools because of a single sex education ethos.
Undoubtedly, parents who would have chosen to send their daughters to Bradbourne will look elsewhere. Many currently at the school will look elsewhere as well. The Academy is a political decision which has nothing to do with the improvement of education in Sevenoaks. Proper consultation appears to have been ignored which will leave the final decision at risk of a Judicial Review if the authorities continue to force it through. The only information provided is what the authorities wish to release. This is a travesty.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now