Get over yourselves!!!

Eleven Plus (11+) in Kent

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
perplexed

Post by perplexed »

Oh shame Chavdad that you have "come out" so quickly. I was just about to agree with your original post.

It made a change from ones about whether or not children should wear vests while eating packed lunch outside in October.

The Kent section is usually pretty tedious and this was an interesting diversion from speculating about results, and what is the best colour T-shirt to wear while waiting for the postman.
Ed's mum

Post by Ed's mum »

Perplexed once wrote:
Appeal Mum, it is simple not to click on to a thread with a title that does not interest you.
Feel free to take your own advice if a thread about eating packed lunches outside affects you so deeply that you feel the need to refer to it on another thread! Maybe it didn't bore you as much as you think.
Bexley Mum 2

Post by Bexley Mum 2 »

Perplexed - the post about eating packed lunches outside generated 24 responses (including one from you), so maybe not everyone found it boring!
One Down

Post by One Down »

Chav Dad,
What's wrong with people sharing their worries in a supportive, kindly (usually) environment with others who are going through the same thing?

Perplexed,
Have you never heard of diversion tactics? When your turn comes, you too may be glad to discuss the colour of t-shirt to wear in order to stop you thinking how many questions your DS/DD missed out/got wrong/failed to see and how they would cope in the dire alternative 'choice ' of school. A little empathy may be in order, particularly on Tuesday when some people will be dealing with bad news. Sorry you find Kent tedious, but this IS an 11+ forum and this is the 11+!! Here and now, for us! The support and encouragement given here is the beauty of the forum:the best side of human nature.
Maybe if you find this a problem, relocation for a while to another 'county' where the results aren't due yet might be less tedious.
The thing I love most about my DD1's GS is how they teach them to value everyone's opinion and adults need to do this too and empathise with others.
T.i.p.s.y

Post by T.i.p.s.y »

Viva Perplexed!

You make me look so good and divert any past negative thoughts about me onto you.... ooh my hero/heroine! :roll:
perplexed

Post by perplexed »

I am T.I.P.S.Y. with the dots and the humour removed. A shadow of her former self.

Clearly my attempt at humour failed; I thought Chavdad's original post was an attempt at humour too.
kentmum1

Post by kentmum1 »

Back to the point in question.....

Where on earth are good schools for "middle-of-the-road" kids? They simply do not exist.
I think this depends on where in Kent you live. In the T Wells/Tonbridge areas I can think of 'good' alternatives to the grammar schools; Bennett, St Gregory's, Uplands, Hayesbrook, Hillview, Mascalls, etc that all are what we would consider 'good' schools. These make the prospect of a fail that much more bearable and a 'middle of the road' kid would have every chance to succeed just as well in these schools. However, I know there are other areas where the alternatives are stark, which must make this whole system seem very stressful.
twellsmum

Post by twellsmum »

Although there are good alternatives to the grammars in TW, you need to have "God points" to get in. Not much good for a mixed religion (Jewish/Christian but neither practising) family like us. Although we could try for the Tonbridge or Wadhurst schools there's no guarantee we will get in so our only alternative to grammars could be a "St Paul on the road to Damascus conversion :wink: or private!
Giulio

Post by Giulio »

by neighbours experience, if you live in Lambeth, and you do not live spitting distance from a comprehensive, and you are not catholic, you have a farily good chance of getting none of your six options

selection (or its illegitimate brother 'aptitude') becomes the only 'choice'

and why are there 4 grammar school in the all of London (all north of the river) and 8 in Surrey and 40+ in Kent?
T.i.p.s.y

Post by T.i.p.s.y »

perplexed wrote:I am T.I.P.S.Y. with the dots and the humour removed. A shadow of her former self.

Clearly my attempt at humour failed; I thought Chavdad's original post was an attempt at humour too.
I am a shadow of my former self, a mere sycophant! 8) I think I have just found out who keeps logging me out of EPE, its my Single White Female Perplexed :shock: ....and to think it was I who was her heroine all along! :roll: :lol:
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now