SOME ADVICE IF YOU DIDNT GET THE RESULT YOU WANTED

Eleven Plus (11+) in Kent

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
cindy

SOME ADVICE IF YOU DIDNT GET THE RESULT YOU WANTED

Post by cindy »

I dont claim to be a master of this, but hope that this info will go a small way toward helping if you did not get the result you wanted.

If it is still the same this year a letter or email will come to you, simply stating pass or fail.

Then contact the school to get the scores. If your child is not too far off the pass mark, telephone the coucil and make an appointment to see
you childs paper. They will let you see it, but not take it away.

This can be useful, as you can pinpoint all manor of things.
In my particular case, the council worker, Linda, at the kent office pointed out to me that the questions that my son had completed were all correct,
it must have been a time issue, and one more mark on his maths would have been a pass.

With this information, you can,if you wish, appeal to the schools you want.
You may hear that the school you want is oversubscribed, full to the brim.
This was the case for us, but although the school was full we won on appeal.

My Son who has aspergers, was one point short, but I know a freind whos child was eight points short. This child won on the third appeal.

The key point is that the child has a consistent history of good results, perhaps in thier key stage exams. My honest veiw is that excuses wont win through. Things like, my sons pet died the night before the exam, or
he had a cold. These things may be considered, but you cant beat consistent acheivment history, consistent with a pass.

Good luck to you all, but if you dont make it , dont give in yet...

god bless

cindyx
Bexley Mum 2

Post by Bexley Mum 2 »

Cindy - this will be so useful to people, and answers questions raised in posts elsewhere on the Kent section of the forum.

I wonder if the mods could make it a sticky?
Bougalou

Post by Bougalou »

Although I don't live in your area, I would like to add something to the posts.
In addition to demonstrating consistent academic achievement, you must also show convincingly that your child needs to go to that school and nowhere else will do. Although our daughter had reached level 5 in Year 4, this was not good enough to get her in to GS on appeal as our needs were seen as wants. For example, we had medical evidence that suggested that our daughter would underperform in an 11+, but that wasn't strong enough. On the other hand another parent gave anecdotal and unsupported evidence that her daughter would be bullied if she went to the allocated school, and that was accepted as a need.
Sorry, don't want to sound pessimistic, but I do really feel that is crucial, particularly in an oversubscription case.
all the best
Bouga
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now