+21% For kent grammar school places

Eleven Plus (11+) in Kent

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
TinDad

Post by TinDad »

But going back to the original post, there has not been a 21% increase in the number of children applying to grammar schools in Kent. There has been a 21% increase in the number sitting the 11+. This isn't the same thing.

Also, to put it into further perspective there's a thread somewhere else in this Kent section which says how many more have passed the 11+ in Kent this year than last year. It really isn't going to change one's chances of gaining a grammar school place or not
[/quote]

I disagree, it will effect the chances, if there is only the same number of grammar places available and the 25% of the cohort remains the same to get those places then an increased number taking the exams (+21%) increases the competition. It only doesn't change one's chances once you've passed and become aprt of the 25%.

The extra passses this year were out of area.
perplexed

Post by perplexed »

No you don't disagree, you agree with me! The results are out, and everyone knows who has passed. The original post on this thread was sent after the results were out in Kent wasn't it?

The person who started this thread is worried for nothing I think.
shuff

Post by shuff »

Presumably the test (plus appeals) selects the strongest 25% of the full year's cohort rather than the top 25% of those who sit the exam. If so the number of passes will vary only by annual fluctuations in numbers in the system and should be largely unaffected by numbers taking the test.

??[/quote]

I would agree with you on this one!
neurotic kent mum

Post by neurotic kent mum »

Thxs for all the replies - you have made me feel better about the situation.
Nerdymum

Post by Nerdymum »

Dear Neurotic Kent Mum
I have also been worried about this situation and i phoned the kent secondary admissions team. They told me that 1000 extra people took the test in Kent therefore there were 250extra passes. This is attributed to the early testing and the theory that there was no harm in having a go because it did not affect your school choices. Possibly kids that were borderline and thought they wouldnt pass did this year ?!? If you average that out around kent it will mean an extra 7 people per grammar school wanting places. The lady i spoke to said that she did not think that this extra two hundred and fifty would affect it any more that the usual annual fluctuation. I do not know whether it is possible to obtain the figures from them as to where the extra 250 is distributed?? Although i appreciate that this is going to make a difference to areas of Kent where there is already so much competition for places. I wonder though whether it balances out against the supposed drop in primary roles this year. Also to put it into perspective, i know a few people in my area who took and passed the test but intend to go to private school and some who passed but still prefer the high school option ( :o ) I also wonder if it will just mean that there might not be as much room for appeals
Grumpy Old Man

Post by Grumpy Old Man »

Perhaps I'm being dim but I cannot see how KCC arrive at the fact that if 1000 extra kids sit the test there will be 250 more passes!

Surely the test serves to identify the top 25% by 'academic ability' of the entire year group, not just of those who take the test. I would think that far more than 25% of those sitting the test will pass it. In our DS's school (three form entry) I think three quarters of kids took the test and not that many failed.

There is presumably a more of less fixed number of grammar places whereas the number taking the test can and has changed substantially.

Surely it is not beyond the wit of man to set the bar at a level where the number of those passing relates to the number of places available?
Nerdymum

Post by Nerdymum »

Grumpy - you would think so wouldnt you!!!! But apparenty they set the pass mark each year so that "roughly" the top 25% of those TAKING the exam pass
perplexed

Post by perplexed »

Who told you that?
dadofkent

Post by dadofkent »

Nerdymum wrote:Grumpy - you would think so wouldnt you!!!! But apparenty they set the pass mark each year so that "roughly" the top 25% of those TAKING the exam pass

I suspect you have been fed some incorrect info.
Belinda

Post by Belinda »

Last edited by Belinda on Thu Nov 01, 2012 12:27 am, edited 1 time in total.