Bidborough Primary School and 11plus

Eleven Plus (11+) in Kent

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

Anakin

Bidborough Primary School and 11plus

Post by Anakin »

Hi

Am new to the forum and thought I'd post as we are about to move into the Bidborough area and hopefully gain a place for our DS at Bidborough Primary School.

My question for the forum is does anyone know anything about the school, the quality of its teaching and also whether it is supportive to children/parents in relation to taking the 11 plus?

For instance do they have school clubs or do anything else to help the children prepare for 11plus?

Many thanks for your help
Anakin
yoyo123

Post by yoyo123 »

have you looked at their website?

http://www.bidborough.kent.sch.uk/

I don't know much about that area,
Anakin

Post by Anakin »

yoyo123 wrote:have you looked at their website?

http://www.bidborough.kent.sch.uk/

I don't know much about that area,
Hi

Yes I've looked at the website and I know they have excellent SATs results (year 6 are 293 at level 4+).

Any other information from parents who have children at the school or people who know the school would be welcome.

Thanks
Anakin
twellsmum

Bidborough

Post by twellsmum »

Bidborough school is in a wealthy village so its intake is predominantly middle class, high achieving parents who expect a lot. Yes, their SATS results are good but I think a lot of this is due to the calibre of the parents and the children (eg, most attend nursery, most have interested supportive parents etc) rather than the quality of the teaching per se. I am not saying that the teaching is bad, I don't have children at teh school but know a fair few people who do, just that SATS results should always be looked at in the context of the "raw material" that the school gets.

I understand also that many of teh villagers use the school for infants and then transfer their children to teh private sector for juniors which means smaller class sizes.

Last year, due to the change in date of the 11+, they did run "additional maths classes". State schools are not supposed to coach children for the 11+ but it was pretty obvious that the additional classes were to assist 11+ children and make sure the whole syllabus was covered before the exam.