Slipping back

Eleven Plus (11+) in Kent

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

2stressed

Slipping back

Post by 2stressed »

Is anyone else worrying about the possibility of their child slipping back over year 6 due to the 11+ having been taken so early? Last year they went straight from 11+ practice to SATS practice so there was no real chance for them to slip, my DS stayed fully focused (well almost fully) and his work didn't drop at all. This year I feel that there is very little motivation to keep the children working hard.

I am all for them enjoying the freedom and responsibility of being in Year 6 but I am very worried that my DD is going to struggle in September when the real work begins. As much as I try and keep her motivated at home as far as she is concerned she's done the hard work now so she can relax - also I think it has been such a long process and there's still another 7 months to go that it isn't very real to her at the moment.

Sorry for my ramblings but would be interested to hear others' thoughts on this.
twellsmum

Post by twellsmum »

They seem to be keeping up the impetus at my DD's school but she has an older teacher who is a real stickler! After all the SATS results from Y6 are the ones that the league tables are based so I should think it is in the interest of most state schools to keep them working. My DD does seem to be getting a lot of homework - some every night - either Maths or English with project work on Wednesday too. However, I have just bought a couple of hte Bond books that are preparing children for secondary school. They are still sitting in their Amazon wrapper though as have DD2 off school following bad asthma attack and am keeping her busy with mental maths (wicked mother!).
mad?

Post by mad? »

My DD 'slipped back' massively after entrance exams, the school's little SATS revision seemed focussed on getting the 3s to 4s and I would say Y6 was, academically, a complete waste of time for her. That said that was her school and probably does not reflect other Y6 experiences. I stressed about it and worried whether she would suddently be miles behind in Y7. However, it only took her about a week to get back into the swing of things and she was soon motivated and enthused again. I'm frustrated that she had to go through such a boring Y6 but it only cemented my determination to ensure we got a high school which was more suitable. On reflection it was boring but has done her no harm at high school and I won't be worrying about it when no doubt the same things happens with DD2.
mad?
katel

Post by katel »

I wouldn't worry - the secondary schools are very good at winding their brains up again. Let them have fun in year 6 - that's what year 6 is for!
hermanmunster

Post by hermanmunster »

Don't worry my DDs school didn't do SATS and basically had a very relaxing time for about one and a half terms - doesbn't seem to cause any probs at senior school
twellsmum

Post by twellsmum »

FUMOP, we have just had parents' evening and my daughter's teacher said she has really been taking it easy over the last few months and it is not on! They expect all their grammar school children to leave the school with level 5s in everything and she is going to have to pull her socks up! (His words not mine).
shuff

Post by shuff »

All the booster groups in my DS's school are for the children who are level 3 getting them to a 4 (and there are an awful lot of them this year!) They are not worried about the children who are above and beyond, consequently there are a lot of bright kids who are rather bored. It feels a waste of a year to me!
perplexed

Post by perplexed »

I have yet to face this one so I don't know if I have any suggestions that would really work.

But from your post it sounds as though there are several of you in this boat. Would it be possible for all the relevant parents to send one joint short, friendly letter to the teacher asking for some challenging and meatier work for those particular children.

It can sound flattering rather than a complaint, as you could say it is thanks to the school and the teachers so far that your children have a secure grasp of the top level of work currently available.
Gercha

Post by Gercha »

My ds's school is so focused on the SATs that my son was told that the 5b that he acquired when doing a mock test (from last year) was good (scoring 90%) but now the teacher expected him to get at 5a in the actual test in May!! I've told him the SATs are for the school's benefit and not his, however I do expect him to try his best but not to worry at all.

As for them winding down in year 6 - I say yes, wind down because after year 6 the work really starts. This will be the last year to "chill" and by the time they get into year 7 they soon get back into the swing of things surprisingly quickly and easily. I want him to enjoy his last year with most of his best friends and relish that "top in the school" feeling!!
medwaymum

Post by medwaymum »

Just a point to consider if you are not aware: the SATS levels are just the number levels, no sub levels. For example, my dd got 5's - no 5a, 5b, 5c. If you want to know more than this you can ask for their actual score, and the teacher can give you an idea of whereabouts in the level 5 (or 4) they scored.