DGGS - over-subscription criteria

Eleven Plus (11+) in Kent

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
mitasol

Post by mitasol »

Partner/feeder schools are permitted. Click on the link WP provided for the revised admissions code.
Revised Admissions Code wrote:Feeder primary schools
2.72 The use of named feeder schools can support good curriculum and geographical links and local continuity between phases in an area but feeder schools must be selected on an objective and consistent basis. Admission authorities must ensure that such arrangements do not unfairly disadvantage children from more deprived areas near the school and must not include independent schools as named feeder schools
SSM

Post by SSM »

The schools listed in the Kent Amissions booklet, are not all in Kent. Mayplace, Barnes Cray, St Paulinus, Old Bexley, Barnehurst, and Normandy are all in Bexley and the rest are in Kent, I think.
Tracy

Post by Tracy »

No, SSM, the new list of schools under the proposals for 2010 are all in Kent.
SSM

Post by SSM »

Tracy, yes you are right, I did not see the link to the new proposals for 2010, and was referring to the 2009 partner/preferred primary schools for DGGS
Tracy

Post by Tracy »

So how can this be proposed when in the neighbouring borough, Bexley, it isn't. Bexley Grammar School is right on the border with Greenwich and the school operates distance as it's criteria (although Bexley borough does gives grammar places in it's 4 schools to applicants, regardless of address, to the top 180 performing children).
Surely all applicants, assuming the 11+ score was the same, should have an equal chance of a place. This clearly is not what would happen in 2010.
WP

Post by WP »

mitasol wrote:Partner/feeder schools are permitted. Click on the link WP provided for the revised admissions code.
Revised Admissions Code wrote:Feeder primary schools
2.72 The use of named feeder schools can support good curriculum and geographical links and local continuity between phases in an area but feeder schools must be selected on an objective and consistent basis. Admission authorities must ensure that such arrangements do not unfairly disadvantage children from more deprived areas near the school and must not include independent schools as named feeder schools
The "objective and consistent" part means that they can't use feeder schools to discriminate against applicants just because they are in another local authority. That would be contrary to the Greenwich Judgement (3.7(b)).
Tracy

Post by Tracy »

The "objective and consistent" part means that they can't use feeder schools to discriminate against applicants just because they are in another local authority. That would be contrary to the Greenwich Judgement (3.7(b)).
That appears to be exactly what the school is proposing to do.
WP

Post by WP »

I don't know the area, but it is hard to see how they could justify giving preference to schools in New Ash Green but not Crayford. That Crayford is in Bexley is no reason by itself.
Tracy

Post by Tracy »

Exactly.

I am writing a letter now and will hand deliver to the school.

I am not particularly interested in this school for my daughter but my concern is if this school gets away with it others will certainly follow.
WP

Post by WP »

You might wish to say that you believe that their policy contravenes the Greenwich Judgement by unlawfully discriminating against Bexley residents.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now