Bennett Memorial and other non GS's

Eleven Plus (11+) in Kent

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

Just1-2go

Post by Just1-2go »

I think this is more about parents doing everything they can to prove that they are at "the heart of the church", which is in the admissions criteria.
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

Yes, but the admission rules have to go on and define objectively what that means (e.g. attendance at church so many times a month). :)

Parents may think that they are increasing their chances by engaging in "other activities," but these other activities can't count unless clearly stated in the admission rules.

Admission rules have to be clear and objective.
Etienne
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

Etienne - I think sometimes appeal panels use these 'extras' to distinguish between two seemingly equal cases where they have decided there is only room for one.

I know they shouldn't and it wouldn't have happened on any panel you've been on but I do think it does happen ....
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

Hi, Guest55

Yes, we must distinguish between admissions and appeals.

I was talking about admissions, where there should be absolutely no question of discretion or subjective judgement.

An appeals panel, on the other hand, is free to consider any argument put forward.
Etienne
perplexed

Post by perplexed »

Yes this makes things much clearer Etienne. And also, I think there is often a lot of myth, rumour, speculation as to why people did / did not get into a particular school via admissions (not appeals), and it should be ( and usually is) a very mechanistic application of the admissions process.

It can work against people too ............ I know of some people who have done all the stuff, got the place, and then realised that they would have got the place anyhow without doing all the stuff, and are upset that there are people at the school who did not do all the stuff.

But to be controversial, I guess that there would be some who would say that it could actually be to the good if someone not truly of that faith wheedled their child falsely into a faith school. This would be allowing the school to reach out to people not of that faith.
Looking for help

Post by Looking for help »

perplexed wrote: But to be controversial, I guess that there would be some who would say that it could actually be to the good if someone not truly of that faith wheedled their child falsely into a faith school. This would be allowing the school to reach out to people not of that faith.
As long as it din't prevent someone who really practised their faith from getting in as they live further away :!:

Rgds,

LFH
Villagedad

Post by Villagedad »

Has anyone heard whether many of those 3 times per month church attendees that didn't automatically get a place have now got in from the waiting list, appeals etc..?

It would be interesting to know how many are still on the waiting list and what their chances for a place might be.

Thanks
Villagedad
sp

Post by sp »

I would think it unlikely that anyone will now get in from the waiting list. Having lost an appeal we were told that 14 appeals had been upheld so now 15 children would have to give up their place before number 1 on the waiting list getsin (assuming I have understood correctly?)
Villagedad

Post by Villagedad »

Hi there

Anyone thinking about Bennett this year for their DC..?

Not long to go now...

Best of luck everyone
murtagh

Post by murtagh »

Yes we're looking at bennett this year for DS3. Very impressive open evenings, results speak for themselves and pastoral care is second to none. I am lucky in the fact that our eldest DS is there already so we are well aquainted with the school. He is in current year 11.
My middle son is at MGS, YR9, not because he is my only "academic" one, but because he is dyspraxic and would find the long bus journey too tiring. (We live near Aylesford).
If Bennett was in Maidstone, all three would go there!
I did worry about the long journey before DS1 went there, but they seem to love it, it adds another social element to the day. Having said that I gather they're all fairly bably behaved on it and there is definitely no chance of getting homework done!
At Bennett they get at least as much homework as they do at MGS, straight from day 1, so that's a bit of a shock to kids from most primary schools.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now