Allocations

Eleven Plus (11+) in Kent

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
SSM

Allocations/Cut offs and anything else

Post by SSM »

I thought I would start this thread to talk about all things to do with allocations and cut offs, so that we can discuss things without hijacking other threads.

Judd - what do we all feel about Mr Masters telling parents that the cut off for his school would be lower this year than in the past.

Weald - it seems that girls which would have practically been guaranteed a place in the past, because of where they lived, have failed to get places this year.

How did any of you guys in the east of our county get on?
2d12go

Allocations

Post by 2d12go »

Hi

I take my hat off to him for making a prediction, if you think back to when these comments were made we were all unclear as to the effect of both early testing, and us knowing scores before application. It would appear that these circumstances have lead to unexpected results.

Really we hate when nobody will tell us anything, he was stating his opinion based on the circumstances as he saw them, sometimes you just dont get it right.

For the sake of those that will be looking for all the cut off scores for next year it might be useful to have them all in the one thread. (I know I would have found it useful).

We appear to have established that cut off marks at allocation are

Judd 414
Skinners 406
Tgs in area 407
Does anybody know the TGS out of area?

I dont think we are at the point of establishing the cut offs for distance schools.
SSM

Post by SSM »

I agree that he was probably being bold to give his opinion, but I do feel that he was wrong to.

The headmaster at Skinners refused to even hazard a guess, as he said that there was absolutely no way of knowing.

What Mr Masters ended up doing was giving a lot of people hope, ok it might have got them through the last few months, but I bet there are a lot of disappointed parents and children out there.
tonbridgemum

Post by tonbridgemum »

I'm afraid i agree. I dont think he should have given an opinion when he had no idea how it was going to go.
I know many people who were given false hope and of course children who have had their hopes dashed.
The Skinners Head (name please?!) was wise to not speculate...that is not his job!
Oh well, I'm sure Mr M is regreting it now. Put it down to experience.. :wink:
SSM

Post by SSM »

Lookin at one of the other threads the out of area cut off for Dartford Grammar for boys was 401

[quote]The Skinners Head (name please?!)[/quote] It's Mr Everson.
shuff

Post by shuff »

I agree with you both, the Head shouldn't have raised hopes when there was no evidence to support his theory. I hung onto those words for 5 months thinking there could be a way my DS could get a place with a slightly lower mark.
Anyway I'm happy with the outcome, it was meant to be!
perplexed

Post by perplexed »

The quote by the Head of Judd never made any sense to me, so I always assumed it was either a misquote, or he could be wrong. Heads are never great on admissions, it's not really their job. But I am surprised that if it was a correct quote, he didn't think a bit more logically before reaching a prediction.
tonbridgemum

Post by tonbridgemum »

Yes, and to actually write it in their admission supplement ( its still on the website in 2009 prospectus insert) seemed a little daft.
twmum

Post by twmum »

The approximate cut off scores were correctly predicted by "he who must not be named" on the other site!
If parents knew where to find or look they may not have had such high hopes and aspirations dashed? :(
tonbridgemum

Post by tonbridgemum »

Good point Twmum. A lot of valuable information. Those new to this site would be less aware of that site and previous postings by "he who must not be named" but i do PM the site if i feel it would be helpful to parents.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now