Kent English Essay

Eleven Plus (11+) in Kent

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
jeffw

Kent English Essay

Post by jeffw »

My DD is in year 5 and just starting thinking of the 11+. Does anyone know about the Kent English Essay? How long is the test and what style / type of essay? Thanks
tonbridgemum

Post by tonbridgemum »

Well, this will make you smile at least...my DS written piece this year (although I dont know the actual guide title given) was 'Super alien hamster escapes and tries to destroy earth'.
I have a copy of my sons piece as it was used in appeal.
Luckily, it contained lots of adjectives and his imagination and sense of humour must of come across thank goodness!
I'm not sure if there is a choice of style/question but i do remember him saying his hamster idea 'came out of the blue' so i dont know how strict they are keeping to the guide title.
Remember, this a small part of the test - not even looked at in Kent unless you are taken to HT appeal. If you son is naturally a good writer, I wouldnt worry too much about preparation, other than reminding him about Punctunation and structure to the piece, which by year 5, should be coming naturally.
P.s my DS did not even finish his story...but got through on HT appeal...(phew!)
Nerdymum

Post by Nerdymum »

I think the titles (of which there are about 10 i think) are quite open ended. So with a good imagination anything possible. I think a few of them are more formal - letter etc
medwaymum

Post by medwaymum »

Yes, when my dd did the Kent test 2 yrs ago, there were choices of subjects/styles such as
Write a persuasive piece in favour of Jamie Oliver changing school dinners, plus there were story and letter choices.
Tonbridgemum is right though, this is the least important test area as it will not be even looked at unless borderline/appeal.
Nerdymum

Post by Nerdymum »

you are right - i spent a bit too much time on this with my son last year and as he passed his piece of writing remains unread!