Algebra

11 Plus Maths – Preparation and Information

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
Potato

Algebra

Post by Potato »

Can anyone recommend a good book that explains Algebra, I`ve only seen one book but it only just touches on the subject and not really good enough! Whenever I go round Waterstones or WH Smith the 11+ books seem to cover all Maths subjects except this. Thanks to all.
medwaymum

Post by medwaymum »

I think its because really the children shouldn't be covering it til KS3? There are some algebra questions on The Tutors CD download you can buy on this site. :)
chad

Post by chad »

This is the one that has been the most use for my family from Y6.....

The Usborne Illustrated Dictionary of Maths

ISBN 10: 0746080522
ISBN 13: 9780746080528

It is for the ages of 11+ and covers up to Key Stage 4.

Easy to understand diagrams and explanations.... with internet links.
It has all the main algebra that you would need....from the simple to the more heavier stuff.

So a book that I used for year... not just for the 11+ :wink:
runningmum81

Algebra

Post by runningmum81 »

My daughter, aged 9 years, has been able to work through an algebra book called "Algebra Understood" available as a downloadable and printable e-book which can be found on
- link has been deleted because of the forum rules about advertising commercial sites. Perhaps anyone interested could PM you for further information?
Alex
Villagedad

Post by Villagedad »

Hi all

Just wondered how much algebra a DC would need to know to pass the 11plus maths exam..?

Is it just a basic understanding or would they need to have a more complex understanding?

Are there any other maths concepts that they won't normally encounter before year 6 (or even not until secondary school) that they will need to know for the 11plus..?

Many thanks
Villagedad
moved

Post by moved »

It depends on the county. In Essex the ability to solve questions such as:

1. 8x – 5 = 27
Work out the value of the number x.

2. A triangle with one corner given 78°, the other two have a and 2a. Find a

3. The formula below gives the cost (in £) for hiring a minibus to take year 6 to a theme park.

Cost = 50 + 15 (m – 1)

where m is the number of miles that the minibus is driven.
How much will it cost to drive the 7 miles from school?
medwaymum

Post by medwaymum »

My dd sat the Kent & Medway tests and reported back to me that there were only a handful of algebra questions, not many.
dadofkent

Post by dadofkent »

medwaymum wrote:My dd sat the Kent & Medway tests and reported back to me that there were only a handful of algebra questions, not many.
The problem is a handful could be the dfference between getting 110 and 130.
medwaymum

Post by medwaymum »

Yes I agree dadofkent. However I personally would cover the basics but not really go beyond that; I would concentrate on nailing the rest of the math topics, but just my personal choice. Everyones' different. :)
dadofkent

Post by dadofkent »

medwaymum wrote:Yes I agree dadofkent. However I personally would cover the basics but not really go beyond that; I would concentrate on nailing the rest of the math topics, but just my personal choice. Everyones' different. :)
Algebra is the least of my probs at the moment, it's percentages I'm having problems nailing. :roll: