Difficulty of the maths on the VR paper.

11 Plus Maths – Preparation and Information

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
Tolstoy

Difficulty of the maths on the VR paper.

Post by Tolstoy »

I know some of you on here do the VR papers as well so hoping you can give me your opinions.

DS2 tells me the hardest maths he has ever done are those couple of maths questions that he gets on the VR paper. I think there are only about three that involve maths.

I was a little suprised at this as they are not particularly difficult and I know he whizzes through them getting pretty much getting 100% every time. This is not because we have practiced them either as he picked them up from the off so to speak.

What I want to know is how does this maths compare to the maths your DC are getting in school?

Just to re-iterate I am not talking about the individual maths paper here but just the maths that crops up on VR papers.
yoyo123

Post by yoyo123 »

Are these the number series type questions Tolstoy?

I think that they become easier if you have a good recall of tables and relationships between numbers.

The Tutors Method and Technique download has quite a good section on the type 18 (Susan Daughtrey type 28)questions (number connections) which lists the variations you may come across it's on page 60 of the PDF

The substitution type questions

If A= 3, B=4 etc are fine if you remember to work from left to right.

The actual maths involved is not that bad if you are quick with the 4 operations.
Tolstoy

Post by Tolstoy »

Thanks for the reply Yoyo but as per usual I haven't explained myself properly :oops: and sorry .

He can do all of them very easily infact he did some number lines in school yesterday (not 11+ practice I hasten to add as that certainly doesn't happen Gloucs primaries).

This is what concerns me. Why isn't he getting anything harder at school? Surely they must do some maths problems that are harder than these by Y6? Is it just his primary or are all children finding this?
Milla

Post by Milla »

Might it be a case of new teacher and trying to work out for him/herself the various levels the children are at. At my DS2's school, they have been doing tests all week ( :roll: ) presumably with a view to setting next week. Or is it that once they have established your child will get his Level 5, they pass on down to someone who needs helping for SATs?