Too techie.. is there an easier method?

11 Plus Maths – Preparation and Information

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

WP

Post by WP »

Very impressive, but there are pathological cases even for this method, such as 35.15 (sole solution 2x8.19 + 7.52 + 5.21 + 3.64 + 2.40).
BarnetDad

Post by BarnetDad »

So where did this evil question come from? Is it really an 11+?
Crazydad

Post by Crazydad »

WP wrote:It's a lot harder than that. You've assumed that two numbers ending in 0 were added to get the final 0, but it could have been one ending in 6 and another ending in 4, etc. And it could have been adding three, four or five numbers.
I know all about that. However what I want to point it out here is for 11+ paper the question should not be that hard to do. The children should be able to use SIMPLE technique to solve the problem. I think sometimes we use our experience far too much for this level.

BTW this is what I teach my DS to do his maths and it works ... at least for him. :D
WP

Post by WP »

Crazydad wrote:However what I want to point it out here is for 11+ paper the question should not be that hard to do. The children should be able to use SIMPLE technique to solve the problem.
Indeed, and that's why this question is unreasonable for an 11+ paper: it's not possible to get from the statement of the problem to a simple technique to solve it.
srk13

Post by srk13 »

Thanks everyone for posting.

Its helped me to explain it again, but also understand that there's no easier way to deal with it.

It is not 11+ but DD was given by her teacher for KS2 SAT. I was surprised at the level, but guess there'll always be some like this.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now