teachers knowledge

11 Plus Maths – Preparation and Information

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
999 mum

teachers knowledge

Post by 999 mum »

An interesting article to read

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/education/pr" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; ... chers.html

I will be watching dispatches on Monday evening
Last edited by 999 mum on Tue Aug 23, 2011 1:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
dani*

Post by dani* »

Did anyone see this.

I found it rather shocking that the teachers tested on the kids papers performed rather poorly.

I must say in my daughters primary school there have been some staff changes over the last few years and some of the new teachers we have been allocated were so useless that we might as well have take a gap year.

What is worrying me is that again we have been allocated a very week teacher. Unfortunately this year we are in year 5 and the 11+ is around the corner. Trouble is that there is not much one can do about it. We have to take the teachers we are given. I have in the past voiced my concerns to the school but they simply tell you that they have faith in their teachers and that is it. Even if one wants to take the matter further it is the schools word against yours.

In my opinion it is very much a case where the government was in such a hurry to recruit more teachers that they have in fact accepted everybody that put their hand up for the job.

Also going back to dispatches if these kids had been taught the curriculum properly then surely a few practice papers to get children used to the format of the paper should do. I didn't get the point of having to spent 11 weeks preparing for a sats paper or their argument for not having sats.
Ed's mum

Post by Ed's mum »

Anon e mouse wrote:
Just caught up with this doc on catch up, and it was shocking.

Surely the teachers should have a basic level of maths especially when they have to teach it for 50mins a day. Also, stopping the kids in Bristol learning maths so the teachers could gear up for SATs was disgusting. These poor kids have lost out on 8weeks of learning maths so the teachers can get better SAT results!!!!

Only positive in the programme was Richard Dunne and his enthusiasm for learning and teaching maths.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now