Primary Maths Challenge

11 Plus Maths – Preparation and Information

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

BarnetDad

Primary Maths Challenge

Post by BarnetDad »

Any comments on today's test?

Sounds like it was quite tough (as expected)
ourmaminhavana

Post by ourmaminhavana »

I'm sorry I missed this before. Just have to share that my son found out today that he has obtained a bronze medal in this and I am absolutely thrilled! I'm so proud of him. :D
PS I'm sorry for bragging :oops:
yoyo123

Post by yoyo123 »

ourmaminhavana wrote:I'm sorry I missed this before. Just have to share that my son found out today that he has obtained a bronze medal in this and I am absolutely thrilled! I'm so proud of him. :D
PS I'm sorry for bragging :oops:
:D well done to youngmaninhavana

I didn;t find out until about 3 years afterwards that master yoyo had won an award..apparently he forgot :roll:
ourmaminhavana

Post by ourmaminhavana »

Well done to Master Yoyo too. Fancy not telling you! How did you find out? :lol:
rosered100

Post by rosered100 »

Well done - we got a bronze too :D

11+ practice was definitely a help for us, but DS was the only boy from his school put in for it anyway so we cant tell how others would have fared. They are not the style of question covered at school - well not our school anyway.

The results are on the website http://m-a.org.uk/jsp/index.jsp?lnk=25p
I tried a couple of the questions the other night & thought they were harder than before or maybe just too late at night for me? I think the biggest problem is the time constraints - DS missed out the last 3 questions due to a lack of time.
yoyo123

Post by yoyo123 »

ourmaminhavana wrote:Well done to Master Yoyo too. Fancy not telling you! How did you find out? :lol:
I think we found a tatty piece of paper when clearing a path through his room :roll:
ourmaminhavana

Post by ourmaminhavana »

That's brilliant rosered. Well done to your DS. My DS is at a state school and although a number of pupils took part he was the only one through to the final. He had no real preparation and I even forgot to download last year's paper for him to try :oops:
I don't know how fair it is if some schools don't take part? There could be lots of children who aren't given the chance...

What a modest young man Master Yoyo must be :)
Milla

Post by Milla »

cor, well done! I don't think we do these - and wouldn't if did, if you get what I mean. Very difficult!!
I looked at one, the paper from November 2008, and there was one which I couldn't work out at all: question 25, the water in the tank one:
http://m-a.org.uk/resources/Paper_Feb2008.pdf
if anyone can explain it in words of one syllable, I'd be grateful!
Congrats again.
WP

Post by WP »

Milla wrote:I looked at one, the paper from November 2008, and there was one which I couldn't work out at all: question 25, the water in the tank one:
http://m-a.org.uk/resources/Paper_Feb2008.pdf
if anyone can explain it in words of one syllable, I'd be grateful!
Because of the pipe, both tanks will be filled to the same depth, and oil added to either tank will raise the level in both tanks by the same amount. The combined area of the bases of the two tanks is 80*80 + 60*60 sq cm = 10,000 sq cm. You pour in 100 litres = 100,000 cubic cm, so it will fill the tanks to a depth of 10 cm.
Milla

Post by Milla »

d'oh!! I hadn't factored that (80x80) + (60x60) = 100. Many thanks! I was bamboozled by the whole thing and had been trying to factor in the pipe for some of the questions seem a bit naughty - the teacher not having enough biscuits over at the end to hand out 2, the clock hand edging the hour hand forward to account for 10 degrees. But looking at the answers there's no option for a 9.99 one (to build in whatever the pipe took).
Anyone who hasn't clicked on teh paper will think I'm mad, burbling on.
Anyway, thanks WP!
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now