Which papers are relevant to us?

11 Plus Maths – Preparation and Information

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
pilchard

Which papers are relevant to us?

Post by pilchard »

Hi

Our local GS states that the NFER papers for Maths are the ones to buy for practice. They are the ones with the lemur on the front cover.
DS has done one paper so far from the pack and I want to save the rest until nearer the real exam in late Nov.

Which other brands of papers are most similar to the NFER papers so that he can do a few more papers between now and November please? It is my understanding that there are only 4 past papers available to buy (multiple choice) if the school is saying use the NFER ones. Maybe someone could correct me it I'm wrong.

He's done a the 10-11+ Bond Maths book and that didn't cause any upsets. He's done the IPS papers too and they seem fine. I could do with a filler from now until November when I'll give him the 3 NFER papers that I've held back. Thinking about this, it seems I don't have a problem, but I'd prefer to be over prepared than under as our local GS is Colyton Grammar in Devon and as much as the Head says they take the top 25% of the ability range, there were some very high achieving friends of DS' that didn't pass last year, so I'm being fairly pessimistic (but prepared!).

Thanks

Pilchard.

Pilchard
Daogroupie

Letts have a new set of papers for 2010

Post by Daogroupie »

The good news is there is a new set and the forum shop is now stocking them because we just ordered them this week and you get them next day, great service. They still have the same cover with the Lemurs but you will see straight away that they are different, they are white with thick blue edges. I think they are excellent. I would also recommend the Alpha papers, the Athey papers and if you feel really ready the CSSE papers which are the real past papers from the Essex Consortium. They are hard but really worth working on. I believe as wide a range as possible is important but it is really interesting how a question asked in a slightly different way can really throw them. "I dont know how to do it" my dd would wail and then be really cross at being caught out by a cleverly structured question that of course she was able to answer once she recognised what she was being asked. I agree with leaving the most relavent ones for just before the exam but it is important to keep ramping up in my opinion. I dont see anyone on here complaining that they did too much but many saying that they did too little and were too complacent.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now