Maths practice

11 Plus Maths – Preparation and Information

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
Guest21

Post by Guest21 »

My daughter also took the 11+ in Meday in Jan 2007. She practised on Bond and Nfer papers. Her marks on Nfer ranged from 32 to 45 and on Bond were all low to mid 30's.
She scored in excess of 120 for Maths in the exam and was the highest scorer amongst the girls in her school.

Post by Guest »

Her marks on Nfer ranged from 32 to 45 and on Bond were all low to mid 30's.
was that bond 10-11? that gives a score of around 60-70%.I had it in my head that practice scores would have to be higher than that so its reassuring to know i am wrong :D
Guest21

Post by Guest21 »

Yes, about 60%-70% was about right in the Bond papers. A Bit higher in the Nfer ones but she put it more down to better presented questions in Nfer than Bond rather than Bond being harder.
Remember they are only practice papers and you can't necessarily expect your child to score 90% from the outset. If they did there wouldn't be much need for practice. As long as they are making steady progression and understanding the questions everything else will flow from that. And remember the scores are standardised so in reality you could score highly even if your raw score was only average. It depends on how tough the test is.

Post by Guest »

Just wanted to say that when I first looked at the test papers I too thought they looked very scary - especially if your child is one of the younger ones in the year. My son was taking the 11 plus having just turned 10 so we were practising when he was just 9 but I have to say it's amazing how quickly they pick the concepts up once you have worked out the technique. It's not as scary as it first looks. Honestly :)

Post by Guest »

It's not as scary as it first looks. Honestly
huge thanks for the reassurances. my child is one of the older ones so standardisation will not be in our favour. However, we are only yr 5 so time is still on our side. one further question. how did your children find NFER compared to Bond?
zed_1978

Confused.

Post by zed_1978 »

Hiya all,

I am trying to help my son with the 11 plus exam i got him BOND GET READY FOR SECONDARY SCHOOL MATHS book but he is finding it hard. I am abit confused, is this the incorrect book or is my son really behind with his Maths (he is 10yrs old)

I am really unsure of what resources i should be using, i am based in Birmingham (have posted in Bham section but had no luck yet)

Thanks
sj355

Re: Confused.

Post by sj355 »

Bond are notoriously hard. My son sailed through the Maths books both for the 10+ and the 11+ (his strong topic), but then when he tried for the VR Bond he found even the 10-11 very hard, let alone the 11+ which we did not even attempt! Still this was enough to pass at the QE, Barnet, Herts. Start backwards by buying the 10-11 Bond book first!

INEX
zed_1978 wrote:Hiya all,

I am trying to help my son with the 11 plus exam i got him BOND GET READY FOR SECONDARY SCHOOL MATHS book but he is finding it hard. I am abit confused, is this the incorrect book or is my son really behind with his Maths (he is 10yrs old)

I am really unsure of what resources i should be using, i am based in Birmingham (have posted in Bham section but had no luck yet)

Thanks
sj355
loulou

Post by loulou »

zed_1978

I agree with sj355. If your son is in year 5 he won't have covered all the topics in the 'getting ready for secondary school book'. Start on 10-11 and then move to 10-11+. If you feel his confidence needs building first I would even consider going down a book lower as you should be able to wizz through it very quickly and you still have a fair amount of time. You can then cover problem areas as they arrive. Far better for him to feel as though he only lacks knowledge on one small area in each paper rather than half the paper.
zed_1978

Post by zed_1978 »

Hello All!

Loulou and sj355, Thank you for your good advice.

I know this is in the Math section but can you give me any advice in regards to helping him with English. He is a keen reader but he finds it diificult to express himself verbally and in writing.

Once agian, thanks.

Regards

Zed
sj355

Post by sj355 »

sj3355's reply moved to the English section.

I know this is in the Math section but can you give me any advice in regards to helping him with English. He is a keen reader but he finds it diificult to express himself verbally and in writing.

Once agian, thanks.
sj355