Help!! Parallel Lines??

11 Plus Maths – Preparation and Information

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
Midget Man

Help!! Parallel Lines??

Post by Midget Man »

This is really bugging me now. Midget has been set this for homework, could do the other questions on it and get 100%, but say's he has no idea how to do this harder question. He's had a few goes now, neither me nor dad can help and wondered if anyone on here could help explain it?

moved

Re: Help!! Parallel Lines??

Post by moved »

If lines are parallel then the angles are the same for both lines. So a diagonal line crossing two parallel lines will have the same angle on the same side of the line. So y = 66 as it is in the same place as the 66 on the other line.

180 in a straight line. the x and the 74 are on the opposite sides of the line so 180 - 74 = x.

You do the same with the 121 and the x. Opposite sides of the line so 180 - 121 = x. To find y you need to use the 180 rule and then use the number of degrees in a triangle of 180.

Have you considered letting midget get these wrong so that the teacher gets the feedback. Mymaths is good for letting the teacher know how many attempts have been made, etc.
Midget Man

Post by Midget Man »

O hyes, he's got them all wrong, as you can see from the answers he has put in the box :lol: I don't intend ever to do homework for him, but he want's to understand how it got it all so wrong :D

Thank you very much indeed :D
heather

Post by heather »

If your DS managed question 1 without any problems, then he’s fine at identifying supplementary, alternate and corresponding angles.

From the answers he’s given to these questions, I think he might be getting confused by the many lines present in the diagrams. The skill required for these is to be able to concentrate on a few lines at a time.

You could try printing off a screen dump, and using tracing/ greaseproof paper to trace off just one pair of parallel lines with one transverse line. Identify the sizes of the unmarked and letter-named angles using these three lines, and transfer to the main diagram. Repeat using other parallel lines / transversals.

If this works, he should then practise the same strategy by mentally blocking out lines in the diagrams - in an exam situation it is unlikely he would have time to use tracing paper.
Midget Man

Post by Midget Man »

Yay, he's now done it another two times, gaining 100% on both. Soo pleased we can all go to bed this evening without this niggling away at us :lol:

I soo love this site, thank-you :D :D