Comparable test papers for NFER Nelson

11 Plus Maths – Preparation and Information

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
Dawn

Comparable test papers for NFER Nelson

Post by Dawn »

The school that my son will be sitting the 11+ for do NFER Nelson tests, maths, verbal and non verbal papers. Can anyone recommend any additional papers that he could do as test papers? :?: I have the NFER Nelson ones, he will be doing the MCQ papers.

Thanks very much :o
Catherine

Post by Catherine »

Hi Dawn,

My son also took a test with NFER Maths, VR and NVR.

In Maths, in addition to the NFER Nelson papers, I used the IPS 35mn practice papers, and Daily Practice (10mn). The 35ms papers are slightly more difficult than the NFER but otherwise very similar. Generally very good except for some errors in the answer sheet! I found the Daily Practice papers very handy as short regular practice worked very well for my son.
I also used the 6 AE Tuition books as reference and for practice, but not in a systematic way, just what I needed from them. They go beyond the 11+ curriculum.

For NVR, I got the Learning Together books first, that I found easier than the NFER Nelson and with may extra question types. The closest to NFER I found were the E-papers from this website (the elevenplusexams one, not the MW).

For VR, ask Patricia (post in the VR section). She is the verbal reasoning master!

Hope this helps

Catherine
Dawn

Post by Dawn »

Catherine,

Thank you very much, that was really helpful. I have read on here that the actual tests that the children sit are more difficult than the practice papers that you can buy. Did you find that to be true or did that additional preparation that you did mean that your son had tackled sufficently difficult questions?

Thank you again.

Dawn
Catherine

Post by Catherine »

Hi Dawn,

My son found the Maths paper harder than the NFER he was used to. He nornally always had enough time to finish his practice papers within the time limit, but missed out 5 questions in the exam. However the local grammars recommend NFER-Nelson, and most parents aim for a score of 80% with these papers. So even if the exam is harder, children can do well because the standardised score depends on how the whole cohort performs. (80% pass mark is a an approximate figure that applies for Slough but that may not apply for your region.)

If you want to practice with more difficult papers, you can try the Bond test papers and 11 + practice booklet. The curriculum is similar, but the questions are more tricky.

He found VR and NVR similar to what the NFER papers.

Happy to be able to help

Catherine