National Curriculum Maths level 5

11 Plus Maths – Preparation and Information

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
Manana

Re: National Curriculum Maths level 5

Post by Manana »

menagerie wrote:Mystery, our school doesn't publish its yr6 results. On the local schools SATS website our school's info was missing. Hmmm... :shock:
That wasn't because of the SATs boycott last year, was it?
menagerie

Post by menagerie »

I think it was something to do with the boycott, yes. I'm afraid as we were lower down the school I didn't take much notice of it then. However, I had a very therapeutic chat with a friend today. His daughter is at the other local state primary which he thinks does nothing but prepare for sats. As a result, he feels his daughter's education is not at all well-rounded. He was so envious when I described a typical day in our school. And to be fair to our school, once the bright children are tutored they take off like rockets and do well, but with the additional broad curriculum under their belts. My boys are at least passionate about a number of extra activities, especially art and music, which are both so well taught at our school. And they grow their own veg. I do nothing to oversee it, but they produce great stuff. They learned to do this on the school allotment.
mystery

Post by mystery »

SATas aren't optional in year 6 at a state primary. If they are not published it's because they boycotted them or because there are fewer than I think 15 children sitting them.

I do like the sound of your school. At least it is adding something of value. It sounds as though perhaps they are following a "creative curriculum" but in so doing they are failing in some way to work in the literacy and numeracy that should form an integral part of that. It would suit us in a way so long as we knew the pitfalls before it was too late.

It sounds as though it's fine for those children whose parents can add this themsevles at home or via a tutor, but, and it's a big but, for those can't it's affecting lifechances.
mitasol

Post by mitasol »

mitasol wrote:
menagerie wrote:our school doesn't publish its yr6 results
If a school has 10 or fewer pupils sitting the exam then the results are not published. If there were more than 10 you can find the 2010 and earlier results here
Even if they boycotted SATs the teacher assessed results are published. Unless there are 10 or fewer children.
menagerie

Post by menagerie »

Yes, thanks to Mitasol, I found them.

The KS2 results were there and weren't too bad but not great either (83% 4b, 50% level 5 - bearing in mind that this is a well-to-do area and well over 50% of the children are tutored throughout yrs 5 & 6, many much earlier than that.) It didn't show the KS1 sats or the relationship between expected results and actual results. They were missing from the gov site.

We've decided just to get some work done daily at home until the boys are both really secure on all parts of KS2. Found a great book that covers the curriculum up to level 5: KS2 Maths Revision and Practise by D Rayner. It is National Curriculum KS2 to level 5 and is well thought out. If we do a page a day from that this year he'll be ahead/on target for Yr 6 exams, except the ones that sit early, in September.