Dao paper 4 question 14

11 Plus Maths – Preparation and Information

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
nikku

Dao paper 4 question 14

Post by nikku »

Help with the following question please

The temp yesterday was -2 degrees it has dropped to -7 degrees. How many degrees is that?

The question seems unclear.
Daogroupie

Re: Dao paper 4 question 14

Post by Daogroupie »

Why is that unclear? There has been a change in temperature from -2 to -7. How many degrees has the temperature changed by? DG
nikku

Post by nikku »

Thanks for replying DG
The question didn't ask for the change in temperature. Just asked 'how many drgrees is that'.

Would the answer be '5 dregees' or ' change of 5 degrees '

I asked an A level math student who said that the question was not worded clearly.

Nikku

Daogroupie wrote:Why is that unclear? There has been a change in temperature from -2 to -7. How many degrees has the temperature changed by? DG
ToadMum

Post by ToadMum »

nikku wrote:Thanks for replying DG
The question didn't ask for the change in temperature. Just asked 'how many drgrees is that'.

I asked an A level math student who said that the question was not worded clearly.

Nikku
I agree with you that the question is poorly worded. But perhaps it's a 'verbal reasoning by the back door' sort of thing :?

With respect to the answer, since the units ('degrees') are already mentioned in the question, then just '5' should suffice, but it would be safer to put '5 degrees'. I assume that the idea is to fool candidates into putting '-5' degrees. If this is a paper you have to pay for, do you not get a mark scheme to go with it?
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx
nikku

Post by nikku »

Thank you toadmum
The answer sheet states '5 degrees' Wanted to confirm if this was correct.

I was concerned that a question worded like this way would waste time... But I see your point on 'trying to trick'

ToadMum wrote:
nikku wrote:Thanks for replying DG

Nikku
I agree with you that the question is poorly worded. But perhaps it's a 'verbal reasoning by the back door' sort of thing :?

With respect to the answer, since the units ('degrees') are already mentioned in the question, then just '5' should suffice, but it would be safer to put '5 degrees'. I assume that the idea is to fool candidates into putting '-5' degrees. If this is a paper you have to pay for, do you not get a mark scheme to go with it?
russet

Post by russet »

I agree it is a badly worded question as there is no precise indication of what the "that" is referring to. The answer could be -7 if the "that" were referring to the final temperature.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now