Maths Text Book

11 Plus Maths – Preparation and Information

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
poiuyt

Maths Text Book

Post by poiuyt »

My DC has just started senior school; just wondering if there is a good maths text book anyone can recommend for years 7-8 please to supplement the school issue one. Many thanks in advance.
Guest55

Re: Maths Text Book

Post by Guest55 »

What do they use at school?
poiuyt

Post by poiuyt »

i will check and get back...from a brief look it looked very concise in terms of explanations from first principles..
yoyo123

Post by yoyo123 »

Usborne dictionary of maths, not a text book but very useful, has links to website too.
aliportico

Post by aliportico »

I've always liked http://www.cimt.plymouth.ac.uk/projects/mep/default.htm - you can read online, print it out, use the interactive bits, or even buy the book :)
flicka

Post by flicka »

Hi, I use CIMT Plymouth and would recommend it. Brilliant website.
I also use ESSENTIAL MATHS published by Elmwood Press http://www.elmwoodpress.co.uk" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; which comes in three levels for each year ie 7H, 7C and 7S for Year seven, so you can pitch your work accordingly to your child.
My son has had no problem with the two higher level books 7H and 8H, but we are now going on to Galore Park books which are quite a different format. Equally as good though.
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

Neither of these suggestions (CIMT or Elmwood) follow the new KS3 programme of study ...
aliportico

Post by aliportico »

The OP asked for something to supplement the school text book (or random sheets of photocopied paper!) - one can go onto the CIMT site, look through the Y7-9 stuff for whatever topic one wants and go through their explanations and do some of their questions. I don't see that there's any problem.

Do you have any recommendations?
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

That's why I asked what the school was using so my suggestion would complement what the school is using.

Personally I like the Oxford and Collins texts - but teachers shouldn't be relying on textbooks all the time. I tend to dip into different ones.
svg123

Post by svg123 »

aliportico wrote:I've always liked http://www.cimt.plymouth.ac.uk/projects/mep/default.htm - you can read online, print it out, use the interactive bits, or even buy the book :)
I recently came across this website and really like it.
Do you or anyone reading this post have the password for restricted contents?

Thanks