ips d 10 maths practice papers paper 3 q5 on surface area

11 Plus Maths – Preparation and Information

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

chelmsford dad

ips d 10 maths practice papers paper 3 q5 on surface area

Post by chelmsford dad »

if anyone has this book can you explain how the answer is 80cm cubed as states in the book , i dont know if the question is being worded badly or i am just being stupid here but i cant see how it snot 160cm cubed :oops:
Stocky

Re: ips d 10 maths practice papers paper 3 q5 on surface

Post by Stocky »

As far as i can see, that's an error in the book. Most of the questions in this book say sides of '1cm', which would give 80, with 2cm per side its definitely 160.
mystery

Post by mystery »

What's the question? Do you mean cubic centimetres (not centimetres cubed) and is it about volume, not surface area?
chelmsford dad

Post by chelmsford dad »

sorry i cant really post up the net but theres 40 squares and it says the side of each square is 2cm , what is surface area?

stocky , thanks i think and hope the book is wrong aswell but 1cm a side would be 40cm ?

also it leaves ---cm cubed as a space for the answer , now i would have thought volume was cubed and surface area was squared?
Stocky

Post by Stocky »

Hi Chelmsford Dad - sorry for confusing you more!! Yes at 1cm it would be 40cm2. I do think there is still an error though as based on 2cm its definitely 160 and yes you are right area is cm2, volume is cm3 - this question asks for area.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now