How much?

11 Plus Maths – Preparation and Information

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now

How much?

Post by Guest »

I've just read the topics list for maths, how far do we need to go in each? Must they have a thorough indepth and complete knowledge of each topic or only up to a certain point?I think I might be getting a bit carried away with it!
Catherine

Post by Catherine »

It is difficult to answer without knowing which school/reqion you are preparing for. Do you know whether the tests are NFER type for example?

Post by Guest »

hi,we're in Berks.The tests are NFER multiple choice.I'm worried that I might be getting carried away as usual and going too far which would be no bad thing usually I think if she can do it,but if all she needs is to be thoroughly competent in the basics of each topic then we should probably just be concentrating on that for now.
Mike

Post by Mike »

Hi Guest

Have a look at the free Maths demo from The Tutors and elevenplusexams.co.uk

In the full version the NFER question types have been put into 18 categories of questions with sub-categories.

The questions are of an NFER standard.

They are also due to release a second Maths CD that will contain 20 question papers that mirror the NFER format.

Regards

Mike
Catherine

Post by Catherine »

Anonymous wrote:hi,we're in Berks.The tests are NFER multiple choice.I'm worried that I might be getting carried away as usual and going too far which would be no bad thing usually I think if she can do it,but if all she needs is to be thoroughly competent in the basics of each topic then we should probably just be concentrating on that for now.
I live at the Bucks/Berks border and my son took the Slough test two years ago.
I think that being very competent with the basics is a good start, but you should make sure that you know the level of the questions that will come up by using practice tests (like the CDs) that are similar to NFER.
As the CDs were not out at the time, I used the IPS practice papers, and of course the NFER tests, but there are only 4 NFER tests, so they are best kept for assessment closer to the exam.
If you haven't already done it, try to read all the Maths topics. A lot of the comments are about the NFER papers.

Post by Guest »

thanks Catherine.