SATs Level 6 Papers

11 Plus Maths – Preparation and Information

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
moved

Re: SATs Level 6 Papers

Post by moved »

Long Journey wrote:About how many children got a Level 6 last year, does anyone know? As a percentage of all Year 6ers I mean.
Haven't got the stats with me, but 2% comes to mind for maths and far fewer for English.
moved

Post by moved »

bel wrote:Question for moved and anyone else too!

Should we as parents really be getting involved in doing extra prep for level 6 papers when we are tolds our DC's are being entered? Is there any real benefit in getting a level 6 rather than say a 5a for the child? Don't the secondary schools do their own tests at the start of year 7 to decide how to steam and place the kids?
I think that is a parental decision. But, I'm not sure what you would have to lose. If you accept that some secondary teachers may not like the name, then fine. It is a test designed to find the children who can extract maths, apply their sharp brains and enjoy the process. Lots of mathematically minded primary teachers are loving the opportunity to extend their pupils and there was a large increase in the number achieving at the upper levels of the 3-5 test in 2012, which implies that the effect is positive.

I'm meeting with a mixed group of teachers next week, so I will have the opportunity to ask them first hand.

G55, early days of research, but very interesting and keeping me jolly busy. It will take quite a while to pull my research together into a publishable format. :D
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

But, I'm not sure what you would have to lose.
NOOOO! Please don't try to teach them unless you are a qualified teacher who is aware of the new KS3 demands and the new GCSE. Methods and approaches are very different and you risk confusing your child. I have to say I'm finding 'unteaching' methods a real issue this year; far worse than when we had the previous level 6 papers ten years ago or so.
Pumpkin Pie

Post by Pumpkin Pie »

Guest55 wrote: NOOOO! Please don't try to teach them unless you are a qualified teacher who is aware of the new KS3 demands and the new GCSE. Methods and approaches are very different
Surely not all teachers use the same method and approach either! :wink:
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

True - but they won't teach methods which are wrong or limit future learning.
mystery

Post by mystery »

I'm really not so sure about that Guest 55. I could give you some eye-watering examples from my children's primary school if you wish!
bravado

Post by bravado »

Guest55 wrote:True - but they won't teach methods which are wrong or limit future learning.
Where do you go, and what do you do with a very able, extension-level child who, to your horror, you discover in May of Yr 5, has been "shown", rather than taught a shockingly large number of absolutely key maths concepts?
Then, after you try and plug those gaps together, that child can really "fly" at their predicted levels... and infact beyond expectation and thanks you from the bottom of their heart with a huge smile of confidence and pride, for helping them finally understand what to do and why they're doing it? Should a parent still have a "hands-off" approach?

Whilst I fully appreciate and respect the long training teachers undertake, to acquire the level of skills we laymen don't have, one can fully understand why some parents, in circumstances similar to the situation I've described above, contemplate, or actually do roll up their sleeves and get mucky with maths and english, when they've very clearly been let down :wink:
Last edited by bravado on Fri Nov 23, 2012 10:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

Primary teachers only need a grade C in GCSE Maths - if I had my way they'd have to have at least an A level.

Yes I do know Primary teachers have 'gaps' - my own child had some spectacular examples of that 'taught' to him!

Take it up with the school first ....
mystery

Post by mystery »

Err Guest 55, it is not possible to take anything up with some schools. And anyway, they are hardly likely to send a teacher off to do maths GCSE again before launching them on an unsuspecting child. Clearly they have other great strengths other than maths.
bravado

Post by bravado »

Guest55 wrote:Primary teachers only need a grade C in GCSE Maths - if I had my way they'd have to have at least an A level.

Yes I do know Primary teachers have 'gaps' - my own child had some spectacular examples of that 'taught' to him!

Take it up with the school first ....
I do apologise - perhaps I was a little unclear? I didn't mean that the teacher had "gaps" - I meant that the child had "gaps" in their learning and skills, due to what some may deem inadequate teaching and topic-testing.

Sadly, when parents discover a shortfall, it's often too late to take matters up with the school and get issues resolved, especially when the 11+ looms :wink: Besides which, what can one teacher do, in practical terms, with a class of 30 children, to assess, identify and resolve the issues?

This happened to us and unfortunately, quite a large number of children were affected. The Head Teacher was uninterested and for those of us with children sitting the 11+, the clock was ticking ominously...

Whilst I don't expect state primaries to teach to the standards required for the 11+, I do expect them to have a jolly good stab at efficiently and effectively teaching the core skills of the KS2 syllabus :wink: One might even venture to suggest that one could logically expect a greater deal of success, with more receptive children like those of extension level :wink:

So what would you recommend a parent does, if the school is uninterested?
Last edited by bravado on Fri Nov 23, 2012 11:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now