Report on the perils of 'rushing through the curriculum'

11 Plus Maths – Preparation and Information

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
Guest55

Report on the perils of 'rushing through the curriculum'

Post by Guest55 »

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/education-20678353" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Acceleration isn't the answer ....
mystery

Re: Report on the perils of 'rushing through the curriculum'

Post by mystery »

It might be if one could achieve depth at the same time.
magwich2

Post by magwich2 »

It wasn't acceleration when mine did GCSE maths early at all - there is so little in it that they were bored rigid with the turgid pace. OK they're good at maths but there should be much more on offer for those who are in the same position.
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

A good teacher will enrich the GCSE syllabus and make it fun as well ...
magwich2

Post by magwich2 »

Just read your post Guest 55 - Miss Magwich asks for examples of how the GCSE syllabus can be made "fun". Bit like saying a trip to the dentist can be made "fun"!!
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

I've only got a few minutes so one idea is to work of if we can chop down a particular school tree without it hitting the HT's car!

Lots of ideas on http://www.nrich.maths.org" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; - estimating pi by dropping sticks, how many packets of something so I need to buy to collect all the free gifts.

Obviously her teachers are not very creative!
JRM

Post by JRM »

Ms Pope cautioned against limiting the enriched curriculum to the ablest pupils: "There is quite a lot of evidence that no matter who your learners are, they all need challenges. All children will be more engaged if they manage to complete a task they didn't think they were capable of."
Challenges are fun and can see if you understand maths by applying it. I think the Nrich maths puzzles are a bit like that. (Oops, crossed posts a bit).

I still argue that there is a difference between able children being taught more quickly to achieve certain test standards, and those who have a natural and thorough understanding of maths. I've got one of each and there is a difference.
The more that you read, the more things you will know.
The more that you learn, the more places you'll go.
Dr Seuss
ginx

Post by ginx »

My dd, who is probably "average" at maths, would give up if she met a challenge, saying she just "could not do it". I don't think that is the answer for dc like her. Bribery might work; her nonselective school have actually introduced a challenge for anyone, something about the size of an extension they are having, with a reward - she is interested now. Without the reward (something like a £10 voucher, that's all!), she wouldn't bother.

No offence, JRM, I feel a challenge would only work for my dd if it was either very interesting and she understood it. Otherwise she would just switch off.
moved

Post by moved »

G55 - I just love Sue!
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now