GCSE in year 6

11 Plus Maths – Preparation and Information

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
moved

Re: GCSE in year 6

Post by moved »

We didn't go down this route and DS will take his gcse in year 11. I don't know whether it was a good or bad decision, without any teaching at all he got a B on higher tier mock paper when he was just 11. With some teaching I am sure he could have achieved an A*. What I couldn't see was the point. Instead he took Ancient Greek and Latin with his headmaster as an extension activity. Both of them thoroughly enjoyed the opportunity - the head was retiring and had begun life in a London grammar as a classics teacher. I think this stood DS in better stead than an extra gcse.
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

Sorry it's not a 'stock answer' there is SO much material you can use with able pupils that there is absolutely no need to accelerate.
Daogroupie

Post by Daogroupie »

They have so very many able students applying to the top ones that they are just looking for reasons not to shortlist. There has been enough warnings about wanting breadth demonstrated by sitting a whole clutch in one go. Doing key subjects early just takes away that breadth. Every year hundreds of very able students miss out on selective school by just a handful of marks. That is just a numbers game as this is. DG
JRM

Post by JRM »

Guest55 wrote:Sorry it's not a 'stock answer' there is SO much material you can use with able pupils that there is absolutely no need to accelerate.

Sorry, my point was that although I knew that would be the answer, I would be wanting to talk to different schools about how they do things, and what they have done in the past. Bearing in mind I am only at the primary stage with my DS, plenty of teachers have given the 'stock answer' but how they actually acted and worked with DS has varied so much. Having confidence and seeing the actual approach of a school rather than them just saying the right thing would put my mind at rest a lot.

Moved, when your DS was doing Ancient Greek and Latni as an extension activity, did he just attend the 'normal' maths lessons and do the same work as everyone else. Or was there some more challenging broadening stuff provided in his maths lessons too. The think I can't get my head round is how the greek and latin work in terms of practicalitiyes of timetabling etc.
The more that you read, the more things you will know.
The more that you learn, the more places you'll go.
Dr Seuss
moved

Post by moved »

Greek and Latin were a once a week activity during break. He was allowed to do private study during some lessons, but otherwise did the same as the rest of the class. He was provided with extension work.
JRM

Post by JRM »

Thank you.
The more that you read, the more things you will know.
The more that you learn, the more places you'll go.
Dr Seuss
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now