How to support in Maths when I am no good at it!

11 Plus Maths – Preparation and Information

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
stroudydad

Re: How to support in Maths when I am no good at it!

Post by stroudydad »

:D What I had in fact proven was that all other forces acting on the raindrop were equal but i had forgotten that as it had an initial velocity it would continue to drop at the same rate.. My mother also teases me about it mercilessly.
aliportico

Post by aliportico »

I was at an MFL GCSE information evening last week - I remember a decent amount of French, but I'm certainly not GCSE level, and my Spanish is minimal, and obvioulsy lots of parents are in similar positions re languages. The teachers were saying, be supportive, help them make sure they actually get homework done at the right time, buy them revision guides, test them on vocab, ask them to explain things to you, etc. I think you could do the same with maths - she has a teacher for stuff she really can't do, and you just being interested and supportive and a listening ear is massively helpful.
Pumpkin Pie

Post by Pumpkin Pie »

Isn't 'mist' fine rain floating in the air? :lol:
Tinkers

Post by Tinkers »

I have a similar issue, in that my DD is already at my level in English. The maths bit I can cope with, possibly up to A level, but she is going to leave me behind in English very soon.

I will continue to make sure she does her homework and if she is struggling I will find her help from other quarters, at the moment DH can step in if he is at home.

Form my own experience, my mum has had virtually no schooling (due to medical reasons) and later on found to be also dyslexic. She can barely read and write, can do basic arithmetic but that's it. As a consequence absolutely no help available to me as a child, but she was always supportive and encouraging.

Some years ago I worked with adults improving their maths skills. This was a common reason for people to go to classes. Have you considered adult numeracy classes? Ime, you can direct your learning to suit your own needs, teachers of these sorts of classes usually have a range of abilities in the class and tailor the work to suit each individual.
countrymum

Post by countrymum »

Thanks so much for all the advice given, really appreciate it! I may look into doing some sort of 'refresher course' or similar but I have tbh I'm one of those that just doesn't find maths 'fun' or gets it straight away, I really have to think very very hard. I was a c grade student in it so pretty average I guess and I would never ever want to quash my child's keenness for it and shall always support. Is actually quite touching in a way that she can help me with something I don't totally get.

Ps :lol: Like your style Pumpkin Pie!
Tinkers

Post by Tinkers »

You may find a different approach will make a big difference. Learning at your own pace with support is different from a school environment. For some people I have met it is a lightbulb moment.
ConcernedDad

Post by ConcernedDad »

stroudydad wrote:
During one physics homework I managed to prove that rain can float in mid air... My phsics teach just wrote "Mark, have you ever seen floating rain?"
Mr Middleton was great..
Very funny! Reminded me of http://organizations.oneonta.edu/physicsclub/****.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;