Intermediate Maths Challenge/Olympiad

11 Plus Maths – Preparation and Information

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
aliportico

Re: Intermediate Maths Challenge/Olympiad

Post by aliportico »

Or she's just pretty good ;-) Well done :-) What marks did she get? You said she did 4, which is good going anyway - think it says on the front that 2 good answers is a decent standard to aim for. My dd got zero when she did the Cayley! (Did some homework and had a nap :roll: )
BarnetDad

Post by BarnetDad »

9,9,9,10 for q's 1,2,3,4

She then bizarrely left early as she had a drama rehearsal to go to and had been told that 4 was good going... Shame, as q5 (the shaded circles one) seemed to me to be the easiest q of the lot. I'm still somewhat baffled, as the answers she came up with when we did a bit of practice were (IMHO) a touch flakey!

Your DD did very well - Sounds like a choice between slow and careful vs. quick and hope for the best..
Last edited by BarnetDad on Tue May 21, 2013 9:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
JRM

Post by JRM »

Long Journey wrote:JMC thresholds out now. Looks like a harder paper as they are lower than last year.

http://www.mathcomp.leeds.ac.uk" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Quite a bit lower. Did anyone get their results last week - it says they would be e-mailed around 16th May. DS did this and said that the early easier questions seemed easier than last year and the later harder ones seemed harder than last year. Of the two he could remember we worked out he got one right and one wrong so I'm curious to see how he got on.
The more that you read, the more things you will know.
The more that you learn, the more places you'll go.
Dr Seuss
aliportico

Post by aliportico »

Yeah, ds's school had their JMC scores back last week. Ds had remembered correctly and got 127. Six year 7s got through to the Olympiad, which impressed me :-)
BarnetDad

Post by BarnetDad »

Impressive indeed!
Long Journey

Post by Long Journey »

JRM wrote:
Long Journey wrote:JMC thresholds out now. Looks like a harder paper as they are lower than last year.

http://www.mathcomp.leeds.ac.uk" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Quite a bit lower. Did anyone get their results last week - it says they would be e-mailed around 16th May. DS did this and said that the early easier questions seemed easier than last year and the later harder ones seemed harder than last year. Of the two he could remember we worked out he got one right and one wrong so I'm curious to see how he got on.
Did you see that the paper and marking scheme are online? We worked out DD's score based on that, though there were one or two she wasn't sure what answer she put. The school said they will release results next week, but this is a primary (she's year 6). I see from a quick google that some schools have posted results on their websites already.
JRM

Post by JRM »

Well done to little alportico :-)

I had seen that the papers were online, but I'm not sure what DS would think to sitting through it and trying to remember what he put. We also go from a primary to a secondary school and each school is 'not entirely efficient' at processing stuff like that so who knows how long we would have to wait. Hmm. I might prompt them if we don't hear by Wednesday.
Dr Seuss
JRM

Post by JRM »

DS was given his certificate on Friday, but they couldn't remember his score. Fortunately I had tracked it down and could tell him. Don't you just love an efficient school?! :lol:
Dr Seuss
aliportico

Post by aliportico »

Ds got his JMO really today - silver, I'm rather impressed with him!