Word Problems

11 Plus Maths – Preparation and Information

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
mystery

Re: Word Problems

Post by mystery »

Maybe he hasn't been taught what you think he has been taught? Or maybe he hasn't covered the topics covered in the problems sufficiently well to be able to use his fledgling skills and knowledge in solving a problem.

Book 3 of the Schofield and Sims mental maths is a level 4 book. The Schofield and Sims thingy about levelling says that if 30 to 36 questions per test are answered correctly the child may be a 4a, 25 to 29 questions correct and the child may be a 4b, and 0-24 questions correct a 4c.

I've worked out quite recently that my year 4 child has been taught NOTHING new this year in maths. And I stupidly bought her Book 4 in this series (4a to 5b)!

You might be expecting him to do something which is too hard for what he has been taught to date. Maths is a very logical subject, and can be taught very logically, step by step. If it's not, it's torment.

So the question really is, does he have a problem with problem solving, or does he have a problem that he has not covered the material that is within the problems in this book. You could try working through a CGP book first - the level 4 targeted questions and then consolidate with the Schofield and Sims? If he could be a 4a per book 3 of Schofield and Sims by the end of the summer holiday that would be a nice position in which to enter year 5?
fatbananas

Post by fatbananas »

Zeinab: you give me hope, thank you!

And, yes, Okanagan, I think that's a good method. I think we should do that.

Mystery: Once we have unpicked the question, the calculation itself is actually not that tricky, a lightbulb moment occurs, and he provides the answer very speedily. I think there are a couple of topics, such as time and fractions where he is a bit wobbly, which just compounds the whole word problem issue, but the actual maths itself is, so far, all stuff he's come across.

So, what you've all helped me establish this evening, is that we should do a lot of unravelling of the words first, so that his first instinct, is to think, "ok, what is really being asked here". Perhaps we should even do that one evening; and then he can actually answer them on his own the following evening. And not even all 12 at once, but perhaps in 3 groups of 4.

Thanks everyone; feeling a lot less anxious about it all now.
Seize the day ... before it seizes you.
yoyo123

Post by yoyo123 »

it is an area that lots of children have difficulty with, fatbananas. Don;t despair!!
fatbananas

Post by fatbananas »

Thanks, Yoyo :D
zeinab

Post by zeinab »

You're very welcome fatbananas.

Sometimes there are 2 or more steps to solve within the question to reach the answer. So by breaking it down step by step you help your child grasp the concept. Then what I do when they kinda get it, I quickly make up a similar question & ask the child to try & work it out. If they get stuck again I will lend a helping & break it down then again I would try another similar question then hopefully the child will by then have an idea what to do.

The key is to return to the question later on some time to see if they remember how to do it & with time they Will understand.

Practice makes perfect.
fatbananas

Post by fatbananas »

Thanks Zeinab. Those are useful tips.
mystery

Post by mystery »

Yes that's how I do it too. It's much easier with children I am not related to.

This method will always be useful fb. As the problems get harder maybe more so.

Glad it's not the basic mechanics holding things up. It means you should be able to progress fast. Do it at his freshest time of day if you can. Good luck.
fatbananas

Post by fatbananas »

We're only on test 3, so gaps in his mathematical knowledge may well reveal themselves; indeed, I expect them to!
mystery wrote: Do it at his freshest time of day if you can. Good luck.
Trouble is, he's at school then ...
mystery

Post by mystery »

Yes - you'll have to do a Scarlett now that flexi-schooling is outlawed. Or weekends for introducing something groundbreaking and weekdays for practice. It's so easy to say isn't it, but the chances of doing this here with my children is very low .... I'm considering purchasing a lasso and a little cage with a workstation in it.
Turtlegirl

Post by Turtlegirl »

This has been so helpful to read! My Yr5 son's last level in maths was a 4C but I think he's performing better than that now - probably at 4B, although he's also recently done pretty poorly in an 11+ mock, especially in maths. He struggles with word problems and especially with ones involving more than one step. This morning though he did a S&S Level 4 paper and managed 30/36. Seeing the S&S levelling information has made me feel a lot better and yoyo123's RUCSAC has been copied and printed so that we can address this weak area.

Thank you!
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now