any ideas

11 Plus Maths – Preparation and Information

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
watergirl

Re: any ideas

Post by watergirl »

Many thanks for feedback and other experiences.

I have spoke to the school and approached the current maths teacher who confirms my son is in the top set but there are children in that set with different learning needs that take his time to further explain maths exercises.

As far as I can see its either a tutor or some of the exercise books suggested by Proud-dad.

Just need to find a tutor now.
Okanagan

Post by Okanagan »

Do the school have a subscription to something like My Maths? Perhaps if they have they could give your ds a log in and you could do some work from that? Worth asking maybe.
mystery

Post by mystery »

Will they allow your child to take in some extra work that you set from home to do at his table while the teacher is spending time with the others that need more help? It would seem fair; many schools refuse though.

Guess they think it looks bad if an OFSTED is sprung on them and child says "I usually use this book which is different to everyone else's which my Mum sends in because I could do the work Sir sets two years ago and he hasn't got anything else to give me!"

If he's having difficulty controlling the class he might not notice if your son gets on with something else, or be jolly glad that he is doing so!
Tinkers

Post by Tinkers »

Having children that have different learning needs is not an excuse for having disruptions in class.
Other teachers, especially those who teach mixed ability classes deal with this everyday.
If there are children who have different learning needs for maybe behavioural reasons for instance, then the teacher should have a TA to assist with the class to help deal with that.
southbucks3

Post by southbucks3 »

Your child's situation does scream out 'extension questions' to me, which is the norm in both my sons primary school and ds1's gs, although ds1 seldom gets to do the extension by the time he has corrected all his silly mistakes, it is still there at the bottom of the page.

While it is important to help children who are struggling, it is just as important to stretch able children, and ensure middling kids are not coasting. How big is the class?
mystery

Post by mystery »

Watergirl needs to speak to the head of maths and the head if not satisfied and make a formal complaint if necessary. However this all takes time and it can be unpleasant. It might just be easier to send him in with some good maths to do as this teacher sounds like he isn't coping and is admitting so.
JamesDean

Post by JamesDean »

southbucks3 wrote:Shut the door the wrong side of a bunch of gs boys in a maths lesson, giving them clear instructions to finish work and i bet in 5 minutes they will be giving one another chinese burns and flicking one another on the head etc..all be it quietly, as they know anthing audible to adjoining classes and they will get a detention.
I was in top set maths at a grammar - one term we had a teacher who couldn't control us and we showed her no mercy. Definitely not unknown in grammar schools - teenagers are teenagers ... This teacher needs support and training!

JD
Proud_Dad

Post by Proud_Dad »

JamesDean wrote:
southbucks3 wrote:Shut the door the wrong side of a bunch of gs boys in a maths lesson, giving them clear instructions to finish work and i bet in 5 minutes they will be giving one another chinese burns and flicking one another on the head etc..all be it quietly, as they know anthing audible to adjoining classes and they will get a detention.
I was in top set maths at a grammar - one term we had a teacher who couldn't control us and we showed her no mercy. Definitely not unknown in grammar schools - teenagers are teenagers ... This teacher needs support and training!

JD
I completeley agree. Being bright does not equate to being studious and well behaved. Some of the brightest kids can be quite naughty and disruptive particularly if they fancy themselves as a bit of a comedian.

We even used to mess about at some lectures in University! :shock: :oops:
Yamin151

Post by Yamin151 »

Proud_Dad wrote: We even used to mess about at some lectures in University! :shock: :oops:
We were meant to go to 'lectures' at university..........??? :? :?
southbucks3

Post by southbucks3 »

Yamin151 wrote:
Proud_Dad wrote: We even used to mess about at some lectures in University! :shock: :oops:
We were meant to go to 'lectures' at university..........??? :? :?

:lol: :oops: quite :!: