Help with Bancroft past paper question

11 Plus Maths – Preparation and Information

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

henna025

Help with Bancroft past paper question

Post by henna025 »

Can someone please help with this question?

On Planet Cash, money is measured in Tinkes and Clinks.
Here is an addition sum
Clinks Tinkles
2 5
2 4
1 3
1 3

a)- How many Tinkles make one Clink?
b)- Work out the answer to this subtration.

Clinks Tinkles
4 3
2 5

c)- Work out the answer to this division.

Clinks Tinkles
4 | 7 2

Thanks
Guest55

Re: Help with Bancroft past paper question

Post by Guest55 »

I'll start you off.

Add up the tinkles - 15 - and the number in that column is 3 so .....
Proud_Dad

Post by Proud_Dad »

To continue,

If you add up the numbers in the clinks column it comes to 6. But the total shown is 8. So that means 2 must have been carried over.

i.e. 15 tinkles = 2 clinks and 3 tinkles.
ToadMum

Post by ToadMum »

Do you think the question-setter is showing his/her age? This one makes me all nostalgic for the 'pounds, shillings and pence' calculations of my formative years :D

Sorry...
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx
leanmeamum

Post by leanmeamum »

this question is based on Base numbers - you can work out the base they are working with which will give you the answer.

When adding time, we use base 60 i.e work in units of 60 rather than 100. So 130 seconds will be 2 minutes 10 seconds and not 1 minute 30 seconds.

For months, we work in base 12 - i.e in units of 12 so 26 months are 2 years 2 months.

Days work in units of 24 hours. Similarly 7 days in a week. If you can see how these add/subtract/multiply and divide, you can understand the logic behind base numbers

a) When adding Tinkles
5 + 4 + 3 + 3 = 15 but you have 3 which means you have carried a number over.
Adding the Clinks
2 + 2 + 1 + 1 = 6 but you have 8 which means 2 was carried over.

So Tinkles was 23 instead of 15 which means that you are working in base 6.
(6 + 6 + 3 = 15. Numbers in base 6 would read 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 20, 21, 23, 23. You are carrying over every time you pass units of 6)

Therefore 6 Tinkes = 1 Clink

b) Using the answer above
You could covert the Clinks to Tinkles so 4 Clinks = 24 Tinkles + 3 = 27 Tinkles
2 Clinks = 12 Tinkles + 5 = 17 Tinkles
27 - 17 = 10 Tinkles
Convert it back to Clinks and Tinkles to give you the answer
1 Clink and 4 Tinkles or 14

Another method -
you can't do 3 - 5 so you borrow 1 Clink which makes your tinke 9 (6 + 3)
so 9 - 5 = 4
Clinks 3 - 2 = 1

So you get 14 again.

c) 7 Clinks and 2 Tinkles / 4

7 Clinks = 42 Tinkles + 2 = 44 Tinkles
44/4 = 11 Tinkles
So that gives you 1 Clink 5 Tinkles or 15

Another method -

72/4 =
7/4 = 1 (3 Clinks carried over)
(3 X 6 = 18 Tinkles) 18 + 2 = 20/4 = 5 Tinkles

So the answer is 15 as well

Hope it helps - this is a scholarship question so most children would find it difficult.
henna025

Post by henna025 »

Everyone thankyou so much for your guidance.
fatbananas

Post by fatbananas »

Can anyone tell me: would a 'base' question be on a state grammar school paper?
Seize the day ... before it seizes you.
nyr

Post by nyr »

Unless they'd seen something similar before, I would think that quite a few adults would be baffled by this question! Answering it needs a fairly cool head, particularly since the base for Tinkles and Clinks changes but the way the numbers are presented one would assume that the base remains constant across the columns.

I have seen this sort of question before at 11+ level. I think in Habs or Manchester Grammar past papers. I'll ask DS this evening if there was something similar in the QE exam.

nyr
Proud_Dad

Post by Proud_Dad »

nyr wrote:Unless they'd seen something similar before, I would think that quite a few adults would be baffled by this question! Answering it needs a fairly cool head, particularly since the base for Tinkles and Clinks changes but the way the numbers are presented one would assume that the base remains constant across the columns.

I have seen this sort of question before at 11+ level. I think in Habs or Manchester Grammar past papers. I'll ask DS this evening if there was something similar in the QE exam.

nyr
What do you mean when you say the base changes?

The way I see it, you work out it is base 6 from the first addition sum and then use this to work out the answers to the other two. The base is always 6 isn't it?
fatbananas

Post by fatbananas »

nyr wrote:Unless they'd seen something similar before, I would think that quite a few adults would be baffled by this question! Answering it needs a fairly cool head, particularly since the base for Tinkles and Clinks changes but the way the numbers are presented one would assume that the base remains constant across the columns.

nyr
I'd be interested to know about QE. Habs, and I think Manchester GS, are independent schools, and I'm really interested in finding out if state GS schools have this sort of question on their papers.
Seize the day ... before it seizes you.