Ascending order mix of decimals and fractions

11 Plus Maths – Preparation and Information

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
parent2013

Re: Ascending order mix of decimals and fractions

Post by parent2013 »

I suggest the approach will depend on the exam

CEM (try to do mental calculation, speed is the key)

4/5 is 0.8: child should remember this by heart

5/8:

Option 1: long division which may take 15-25 seconds.
Option 2: 5/8 > 4/8 (0.5) and 5/8 is < 6/8 (which is 3/4 i.e. 0.75)... therefore smallest.

Olave's/Wilson/Sutton (show workings)

Compare using decimals as it requires not changing the first number and 2nd fraction is standard one.

0.85 (no change required)

4/5 = 0.8

5/8: Show long division workings and it is 0.62 i.e. smallest.
ToadMum

Post by ToadMum »

parent2013 wrote:
Actually it's 0.625 :) May make a difference, depending on how close the items listed are.

Something like "two-eighths = 25% = 0.25"" should be quite easy to memorise and may save a bit of long division. (Or even, just drilling that 1/8 = 12.5%?).
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx
Proud_Dad

Post by Proud_Dad »

ToadMum wrote:
parent2013 wrote:
Actually it's 0.625 :) May make a difference, depending on how close the items listed are.

Something like "two-eighths = 25% = 0.25"" should be quite easy to memorise and may save a bit of long division. (Or even, just drilling that 1/8 = 12.5%?).
Yes they should know that 2/8 = 1/4 = 25% = 0.25.
It should then make sense that 1/8 is a half of this i.e. 12.5%.

And if they need to find 5/8 as an exact decimal I think it is quicker and easier to think of it as 4/8 + 1/8.

i.e. 50% + 12.5% = 62.5% = 0.625

Rather than having to work out 5 / 8 as a long division.
parent2013

Post by parent2013 »

Calculating up to 3dp is required if the numbers are very close. In this instance only 1 dp would do i.e. 0.6 is lesser than 0.8. There's no need to calculate up to 0.62 or 0.625.

A good approach is to remember fractions & decimal relation for common ones but don't be surprised if the child crumbles under the exam environment and makes silly mistake by assuming that 5/8 is 0.75 and not 0.625. So, be very very sure on mental calcs otherwise calculate (this is what I taught to my ds) - couple of seconds slower but safer/accurate option.

The other point I'm trying to make is to demonstrate workings (specifically for super-selectives) as they want to filter out children who can show the steps/approach performed to come up with the answer rather than mental calculation. Here are the sample instructions:

MGS - For each question, show all your working in full, as this will be marked, and then write your answer clearly in the space provided.
St O - Show your workings in the space provided with each question.
MT - You should show all your working on this question paper.
SO - Show all your working. You may be awarded marks for correct working even if your final answer is incorrect, and a correct answer unsupported by correct working may not receive full marks.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now