Dumb mum fraction help

11 Plus Maths – Preparation and Information

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

ITBarbie

Dumb mum fraction help

Post by ITBarbie »

Hi

My son is stuck on this and I can't help him. Can anyone help us?

Order these fractions. First convert them to equivalent fractions and then draw a number line and put the fractions on it.
a) 5/6, 2/3, 1/2 b) 3/4, 2/5, 6/10
c) 3/4, 2/8 ,3/16 d) 2/9, 1/6 ,1/3

I was bottom for my maths and he is in the top group but he has no idea either!

Re: Dumb mum fraction help

Post by Guest »

ITBarbie wrote:Hi

My son is stuck on this and I can't help him. Can anyone help us?

Order these fractions. First convert them to equivalent fractions and then draw a number line and put the fractions on it.

I was bottom for my maths and he is in the top group but he has no idea either!
Hi ITBarbie, I can sympathise with you because I'm not much cop either at school maths however, my daughter and I have just been looking at these. For question a). first look at the bottom numbers (demoninators) which are 6, 3 and 2. Decide which number they all go in to ie. 6, then you can convert the fractions. 6 goes into 6 = 1 so you leave the top number as 5. 2/3 = 3 goes into 6 twice so you times the 2 x 2. 1/2 = 2 goes into 6 three times so you times the 1 x 3. You then have all three fractions with the same bottom number (6). It is then easy to order and put on the timeline.

I know that I understand what I mean - I only hope you understand the garbled explanation and I'm sure you now agree that I'm not much cop either!
jenny wren

Post by jenny wren »

Convert them all to equiv fractions first. And remeber whatever you do to the bottom you do to the top and vice versa. So
a) 2/3 becomes 4/6 and 1/2 becomes 3/6

so in ascending order the answer is 3/6 4/6 5/6

Hope that helps. Have you practiced ordering decimals?

Jenny
ITBarbie

answers

Post by ITBarbie »

Thanks Jenny wren and guest.

I just about undersatand it but like I said you will have to appreciate that I will always be at the If sam had 3 organges and Jane had 2 how many did they have in total! :D

I have passed this to my hubbie who understand it and will sit our son down this afternoon

Thanks