How to iron out silly mistakes?

11 Plus Maths – Preparation and Information

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
gameon

How to iron out silly mistakes?

Post by gameon »

Advice on how you tackle the silly mistakes? It only takes a second for him to realize where he went wrong. Hrrrr. However much I tell him to check, he is not seeing it until the marking time.
Any advice please?
guest201

Re: How to iron out silly mistakes?

Post by guest201 »

They ALL do it so don't get obsessed with it. As long as it is not the same silly mistake every time then it is normal for kids that age, you can iron out all the silly mistakes they make and I can guarantee they will still somehow find more "silly mistakes" to make.
fatbananas

Post by fatbananas »

That's my DS too, Gameon. Everything's done in his head, and it's SO annoying when he's out by 1penny, 1 degree etc. Not sure what to suggest, other than bribery, but just wanted you to know you weren't alone!
Seize the day ... before it seizes you.
gameon

Post by gameon »

fatbananas,
Sounds like bribery might work. Willing to try any thing. Not that I haven't tried bribery before but may be this time I could offer some thing that will give him some incentive to work harder.
I am checking my purse and haven't got much left :lol:
guest201

Post by guest201 »

I used to give my DD some credit to buy music on her iPad if she made one mistake or less five times in a row (in the IPS daily tests.), it had to be in a row as this gets them into the habit of concentrating every time.
Needless to say it didn't happen very often, I used to feel so sorry for her when she had four tests in a row and then messed up on the fifth!!
fatbananas

Post by fatbananas »

gameon wrote:fatbananas,
Sounds like bribery might work. Willing to try any thing. Not that I haven't tried bribery before but may be this time I could offer some thing that will give him some incentive to work harder.
I am checking my purse and haven't got much left :lol:
I know how you feel, Gameon. Am thinking of offering my Sainsburys money-back vouchers :roll: :lol:

Guest201: what are IPS daily tests? A publication I don't know about :shock: :shock:
gameon

Post by gameon »

I think guest201 referring to the IPS (Eleven Plus Secondary School Selection) 11+ Daily Practice Tests. 20 tests with 6 questions in each sections. I like this book because it is small amount of mixture of questions. Easy to do them before they go to school in the morning etc. I bought it for my DS1 and using for my DS2 as well.
fatbananas

Post by fatbananas »

I see, thanks. I just had a look at them on Amazon. One of the reviewers said they thought these books were a SATS level 4. Do you think that's accurate? Is it too late to use these books now with 4 months to go? (sorry for slight hijack of thread)
gameon

Post by gameon »

My kids never took SATs so I am not sure about SATs level 4 or not. They are not hard, but will keep the kids ticking over. Hmm.. if you haven't got the book yet, it may not be worth buying them at this point.

If you got bond 10 min books, that will serve the same purpose.
fatbananas

Post by fatbananas »

Thanks Gameon. Might get them when DS2's turn comes around :? :wink: