Where to stop ?

11 Plus Maths – Preparation and Information

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
sonasona

Re: Where to stop ?

Post by sonasona »

Peridot wrote:Forgive me but I honestly think some of you are taking the maths studying too far and frightening people! My DD scored highly in the 11 plus and is happily coping with the level of maths in year 7 at Tiffin Girls now she is there. Hina's daughter also gained a place at Tiffin Girls for 2014 I think (sorry Hina if I've got that wrong!). TGS is a superselective and my DD found the maths she had prepared perfectly adequate for the exam.

Especially if you know your child has strong maths ability anyway, I would say the most important thing is to make sure they know how to apply the techniques they have learned, and can problem-solve confidently and logically. The problem-solving, how-do-I-work-out-how-to-approach-it type questions are the ones that throw some children.
I totally agree with you Peridot.......this is all down to one Tuition Centre throwing shed-loads of tests at the children week after week amongst all their other homework and it seems to be sending some of the parents into a spin!

For the record, there are parents who are now going over this homework weekly with a fine toothcomb and picking out bits and pieces for their DCs, the rest they are filling in the answers themselves. Its a ridiculously huge amount of work and half of it is irrelevant to CEM style exams anyway.

Berks_mum, I wouldn't fret over half the stuff they give you unless you really are trying to cater for every exam in the UK!? Are you.

Btw my dd is not on this course, I'm just fully aware of the workload and content.
berks_mum

Post by berks_mum »

I don't think anyone is trying to frighten others.

Some of us who encountered difficult/unexpected level of questions in some practice papers were seeking clarification/definitive list of topics to cover. I think this is independent of any tutor/workload/child.
Optimist

Post by Optimist »

Tbh, if it is a CEM test, it will just be a test of understanding the rubric in the question and applying the rules of plus, minus, times and divide. My DS sat it last year and there were no maths curriculum questions; it seemed to be the application of these skills to everyday maths problems. I myself, use off-the wall maths questions on my other son - but may soon also use Bond (simply as they are diagnostic tests for bringing home the foundations - and I will not cover any more than the 9-10 and 10-11 books).
parent2013

Post by parent2013 »

Peridot wrote: TGS is a superselective and my DD found the maths she had prepared perfectly adequate for the exam.
Please correct me if I'm wrong but I think Tiffin only test VR and NVR in the exam. :?: There is no creative writing or descriptive maths element.

I think there are broadly 2 types of Maths format -
1. No workings: CEM, Kent and some other exams
2. Show workings: Olave's, Sutton and Wilson. I haven't included the likes of MGS, Habs and other elite private schools which also follow this pattern. You may see the MGS past papers and see why it would send shivers to those who are living in the narrow world of CEM.

It is all about which exam you are preparing for and how well you want to prepare.
fatbananas

Post by fatbananas »

parent2013 wrote:
Peridot wrote: TGS is a superselective and my DD found the maths she had prepared perfectly adequate for the exam.
Please correct me if I'm wrong but I think Tiffin only test VR and NVR in the exam. :?: There is no creative writing or descriptive maths element.

I think there are broadly 2 types of Maths format -
1. No workings: CEM, Kent and some other exams
2. Show workings: Olave's, Sutton and Wilson. I haven't included the likes of MGS, Habs and other elite private schools which also follow this pattern. You may see the MGS past papers and see why it would send shivers to those who are living in the narrow world of CEM.

It is all about which exam you are preparing for and how well you want to prepare.
Tiffin girls do maths and English as well, Parent2013.
Seize the day ... before it seizes you.
Peridot

Post by Peridot »

Yes, thanks, fatbananas: for the last two years Tiffin Girls has indeed introduced a much broader range of tests in two stages. The girls take the same verbal and non-verbal tests that the boys take at Tiffin, but, unlike the boys, for whom that's it, the top 400 or so girls are then invited back for the second stage which is standard maths, reading comprehension and creative writing - no multiple choice. I wouldn't have posted originally if my DD hadn't done a proper maths paper as part of the entrance exam!

I agree parent2013 that content will vary to some extent depending which school you are preparing for. But the principle I am talking about is really the same: 1. Don't stress out those poor DC by overdoing the tutoring but 2. Do make sure they know how to apply their knowledge to problem solving.

Incidentally my DD also found the Habs past papers very useful practice.

Good luck all and have a nice break with your children over half term. Px
leanmeamum

Post by leanmeamum »

This was also discussed in another post http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/forum/ ... =2&t=37551

You need varying levels of Maths depending on schools you are applying to. The hardest Maths papers for the 11+ are the Habs, Manchester Grammar (Part 2), St. Paul's for Girls and Withington Girls School (Part 2) - not necessarily in that order. If your child can understand those, they are fine.

YOU WILL NOT GET ANYTHING HARDER THAN THOSE in any 11+ Maths Exam - CEM or any other. They are testing understanding of maths and mathematical concepts not Higher Level GCSE

I know lots of children who have done CEM at Latymer and Henrietta (both years of CEM) and have had detailed feedback from them about the level of maths tested - it does not get harder than Habs, MGS, St. Paul's.
berks_mum

Post by berks_mum »

Thanks leanmeamum.
What practice materials(how to/work books) would you recommend to tackle Habs, Machester Grammar, St.Paul's and Withington Girls type Maths papers.
leanmeamum

Post by leanmeamum »

The first few questions are straight forward maths so make sure all basics are covered. For problem solving type of questions break up the question and try to understand what is being said and what the questions are asking for. It helps to write all the information down in numerical format which helps to see which part of the maths syllabus is needed to get to the answer.

S & S progress papers and mental arithmetic books, Peter Robson books are all good for practise and covering the basics.

You could just sit and work through some North London Consortium, Merchant Taylors, Manchester Grammar (Paper 1) papers together before you move on to these. Ideas are repeated in lots of problem solving questions so it is important to understand the idea behind a question and remember it so it can be applied whenever a similar question comes up.
Peridot

Post by Peridot »

Another resource that we found invaluable was the Usborne Illustrated Dictionary of Maths, ISBN 978074608052-8. It's a reference book, obviously, but has really good worked examples and diagrams. It extends way beyond 11 plus and my son has been finding it useful for checking GCSE maths. I love it too as, not being a natural mathematician (the ability sadly skipped a generation!), it gives me clear explanations of things my children understand already.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now