At a loss......

11 Plus Maths – Preparation and Information

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
Bob1892

At a loss......

Post by Bob1892 »

Not sure what to do next with my ds who has just finished year 4...(we're aiming for CEM next year).
Done Letts 9-10, schofield & Sims mental arithmetic book4 & Bond 9-10 - he did pretty well.
However I've tried him on cgp (cem) 9-10 & schofield & sims progress papers book 1 & he seems to be struggling.
What to do next is the question? To continue with these tougher books & to explain the mistakes or go back a step & try something a bit easier such as cgp 8-9?
Any help/advice would be appreciated.
RedVelvet

Re: At a loss......

Post by RedVelvet »

In the same boat here Bob. My DD has just finished Yr4.

We did the assessment tests for the Maths, VR and NVR over the last few days. Unfortunately the maths was the first one we did and a real shocker! Doing the VR today has made me realise it's not going to be such a long haul.

When I sat down with her with the paper afterwards I realised it wasn't so much the maths that was a problem, but more understanding the question. So I think the basic concepts are solid it's just applying them. Also there were a lot of simple mistakes, and almost no working out on paper. We're going for little and often and then will reapeat the same test in a week and see how we go. I'm still not sure if it's the right thing for her, but I see it as supporting her general school work anyway. We're going to work through the topics she found tricky using the cgp books and a few Bond books.

I honestly wasn't planning on starting anything yet, but my son sits in September, so she was showing an interest. Two birds and all that...
parent2013

Post by parent2013 »

As a new car driver....
Do you first understand the features of car i.e. what a brake and accelerator do before learning how to drive
OR
Just start the car and press random things (chances are that would lead to crash)

Doing test papers without consolidating the core concepts is the same thing. Don't get shocked if the scores are poor or erratic. It is a result of poor strategy. I cannot explain in detail due to time constraints but your tutor should sort that out.
yoyo123

Post by yoyo123 »

Use the test to find the gaps and then work on them, parent 2013 is quite right.

He is only just at the end of year 4, he may not have even covered some of the topics yet.

There is plenty of time, work on the basics, times tables, quick mental calculations. Make it fun too.
Bob1892

Post by Bob1892 »

Thanks for the replies.
Will try to fill in the gaps - I've decided to go a level lower on the CGP book just to boost his confidence a little bit.
Bob
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now