Go to navigation
It is currently Sun Dec 04, 2016 12:00 am

All times are UTC

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 15 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Post subject: Khan Academy
PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2014 7:31 am 

As part of dd's revision for 11+ and GCSE we used Khan Academy. It is extremely clear in explanations of topics.

I know there are those who do not like it for being too American, but maths is universal and if it gets children from not understanding to understanding a topic it is worth a look at to make your own minds up.

Post subject: Khan Academy
PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2014 7:40 am 

Not sure that Guest55 will be too thrilled by this. Anyone having a quick read might think that s/he approves of Khan Academy as the thread title bears Guest55's name. Just an observation.

Post subject: Re: Khan Academy
PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2014 9:21 am 

I have moved this from the topic Guest 55's suggested sites for maths as it read as if it was one she recommended, which is not the case.
yoyo

PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2014 9:23 am 

Are only sites approved by guest55 to be permanently listed at the top of the forum?

PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2014 9:25 am 

The topic was Guest 55's suggestions for sites, it was moved in the interest of clarity
As you say people should be allowed to make their own mind up and so this new thread will enable people to discuss Khan Academy.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2014 9:40 am 

Could we have an area permanently at the top of the forum where anyone can suggest sites they have found useful so that anyone looking at the forum in future may also make their minds up?

PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2014 9:48 am 

My thread does include other peoples suggestion but I'm not prepared to have Khan Academy in the thread as it is not geared to UK exams or techniques taught in schools.

In fact, students may be disadvantaged by using it ... a fellow poster kindly pointed me at the addition to the thread this morning.

I strongly recommend many other free websites ...

PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2014 9:55 am 

So why not have another such thread where people can post their views, even if they are different from guest55's?

PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2014 11:52 am 

I think Sally-Anne answers that question here:
viewtopic.php?f=38&t=38500

PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2014 1:56 pm 

As far as 'prominence' is concerned, it is for moderators to decide which threads to turn into stickies, as it would be unworkable to have everyone promoting their own preferred topic.
We try to limit (not always successfully!) how many stickies there are, because too many results in each becoming less prominent!

We also look to see whether the thread contains significant information, or is urgent.

We don't claim to get everything right, but Guest55 has a long track record (nearly 7000 posts), writing from the perspective of both a maths teacher and a parent. In our judgement her views are widely respected on the forum, and we think that the advice she offers with regard to maths is (in Sally-Anne's words) "of the very highest quality".

Russet has made a number of posts in praise of the Khan Academy, as has sbarnes, so there has clearly been an opportunity to state a different point of view, even if we are not prepared at present to give equal prominence.

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 15 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next