Y6 maths - partitioning vs column method

11 Plus Maths – Preparation and Information

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

Rosy Pippin

Re: Y6 maths - partitioning vs column method

Post by Rosy Pippin »

Thanks all - the test was HTU x TU - dread to think what happens when they move on to HTU x HTU!
It takes a village to raise a child
mystery

Post by mystery »

Well, if they do ask that question, and then do it by the grid method the teacher will not have to do much lesson preparation as it will take them so long.
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

No-one should be asked to do HTU x HTU by any written method.
Rosy Pippin

Post by Rosy Pippin »

You've cracked it! Time for teacher to take a well-earned tea break.
It takes a village to raise a child
2Girlsmum

Post by 2Girlsmum »

No-one should be asked to do HTU x HTU by any written method.
why?
mystery

Post by mystery »

It is cruel.
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

For HTU x HTU a calculator is more appropriate - estimate the answer first of course.
2Girlsmum

Post by 2Girlsmum »

Blimey! We did it at our 38 children, 1 teacher, no teaching assistant primary school back in the day. All the children were expected to do it, a couple struggled, but the rest got on with it and found it normal. They were from a mixed intake at a village school. DH did it at a London primary too, though in a class of about 30 with no teaching assistant. Presumably calculators are used for any challenging sums now in school? Is it cruel to challenge the more able children? I had my ups and downs with my children's old primary, but they were all OK (apart from 2 special needs children) at maths for their age. I visited a Y5 class on Friday where about 1/4 of the class couldn't add £1.50 + £1.50 + £3 + £2, something both daughters learned in early Y4. DD2 tells me the whole class were actually taught long multiplication in Y6 (presumably in preparation for SATS), and learned the simple way in Y4.
Last edited by 2Girlsmum on Sat Sep 13, 2014 8:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
mystery

Post by mystery »

It is more appropriate to use a calculator because a child who has not learned their tables well, nor to write carry figures neatly and small, and is not given squared paper or taught to write neatly in invisible columns will make a hash of it and take an age. And a child who can do all of these things but is told the grid method is fast will find it takes an age with the highly inefficient grid method because it require so much writing to do this straightforward calculation.

The grid method has its limitations, wondrous as it is.
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

Today we teach mathematics which is problem solving - not arithmetic (number manipulation) - no adult would use a paper method to do such a calculation.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now