What is the value of digit 3 in each of these numbers? HELP

11 Plus Maths – Preparation and Information

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
SouthWiltsGrammer

Re: What is the value of digit 3 in each of these numbers? H

Post by SouthWiltsGrammer »

mystery wrote:I don't like the wording of the question. Is the tutor's other material like this?

If I read a question asking about "digit 3" I might think it meant the third digit in poor English.

Maybe if it said "what is the value of the digit 3 in each of these numbers" I might find it less ambiguous.

I don't think you will get 11 plus questions this badly worded - or this simple?

I don't know this is DD's first week with her.

I must admit when I first read it I thought it meant the third digit along the number.

I don't know about how hard/simple questions are, I just know this tutor has helped a lot of children pass their 11+ here! My DD really liked the first session she had.
mystery

Post by mystery »

Well, let's hope this was just a dip. Do you know the people who have used this tutor in the past and thought that she contributed to their child passing? If so, sounds fine.

My DD would have been exasperated already and not believed anything that she said for the remainder of the year ........ she's not as tolerant as me! :wink:
SouthWiltsGrammer

Post by SouthWiltsGrammer »

mystery wrote:Well, let's hope this was just a dip. Do you know the people who have used this tutor in the past and thought that she contributed to their child passing? If so, sounds fine.

My DD would have been exasperated already and not believed anything that she said for the remainder of the year ........ she's not as tolerant as me! :wink:
I don't know anyone personally, everyone is very tight lipped and vague about which tutors they use around here but I do know she is fully booked with waiting lists etc incase pupils drop out each year and has a high number of passes. She could be a fab tutor or they could all be clever kids, or a combination of both :?:
Jazz-UK

Post by Jazz-UK »

Guest55 wrote: Technically we don't use commas any more so 300,000 is written 300 000
What's wrong with the comma? I loved that comma :(
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

A comma is used as a decimal point in some countries so they would read 300,000 as 300.000 which could be an issue!
Jazz-UK

Post by Jazz-UK »

We shall continue to use the comma in the UK household!
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

Wel it is wrong and not taught anymore - or shouldn't be.

New NC:

Year 5
Pupils should be taught to:
* read, write, order and compare numbers to at least 1 000 000 and determine the value of each digit

* count forwards or backwards in steps of powers of 10 for any given number up to 1 000 000
Minesatea

Post by Minesatea »

The comma is still being used by my DC at school. I can see the problem tho as with DS2s dreadful handwriting his decimal points always look like commas so 11.001 turns into 11,001.
Would it be marked wrong if a comma is used in gcse or a level maths?
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

It's not been taught for many years ....

I would not advise anyone to use a comma for an exam.
Proud_Dad

Post by Proud_Dad »

Well I must admit I didn't know about not using commas to sepearte thousands. Will have to try and remember that!

I blame those pesky Europeans. Who do they think they are telling us we can't use the good old British comma anymore?! Next thing you know they'll be making us sell beer in half litre measures and getting us to drive on the other side of the road! Grrrrr! :evil: :wink:
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now