Aiming for level 6 - what sort of work is being given?

11 Plus Maths – Preparation and Information

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

mystery

Re: Aiming for level 6 - what sort of work is being given?

Post by mystery »

Thank you G55, Moved and everyone else for great ideas and material.

Any ideas please how I might successfully tackle this with school so that something with a little more meat is served up - whether it be requiring deeper thought or wider syllabus coverage?
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

Why doesn't she have a go and the nrich and submit a solution.

http://nrich.maths.org/8802" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Click on a stage 2 problem and she can send in via the link what she has done ... might get the school interested.

Did they do the PMC? If not, then once they upload the paper get her to have a go and take it in to school.

Ask what they are doing to support her with preparing for level 6 ...
moved

Post by moved »

My inner city kids often submit to NRICH. None published yet but they keep trying.
mystery

Post by mystery »

Oh OK, good idea. Didn't realise you could do that. She did what I think was an Nrich problem a while ago for the only interesting school homework that there has been this term -- it was one where she showed that you could make all numbers by adding a series of consecutive numbers apart from ones which were 2 to the power of anything. I'm not sure if it came from Nrich or not though. Never got the homework back from school though. It just seems to disappear into a black hole. I might ask for it on the excuse that she might like to submit it to Nrich if it was an Nrich problem.

I have asked what they are doing to give some new stuff / prepare for level 6. They tell me they are using secondary school textbooks with level 6 material. But they're not. They use a bit of Target Maths year 6 column C, some (very basic) KS3 stuff from BBC bitesize, some other dreadful and old KS2 text book with things like 72 numbers to round on one page and now this Schofield and Sims problem solving book for homework (the rest of the top group are just commencing book 4 mental arithmetic for some strange reason .... they all passed 11plus some with superselective scores but all have done some work at home / with tutors).
berks_mum

Post by berks_mum »

Mystery, this is similar situation to our school. Homework for extra maths session last week was to revise times tables when most of the children(selected for l.6) are quite good at it.

Anyway, something more concrete now:
1) Have you tried the CGP level 6(Maths) books: textbook, workbook and tests?
2) I have downloaded 2013 level 6 SATS papers. Haven't worked through them yet.
3) I believe 2014 level 6 SATS papers should be available for download by now.
4) Not sure if Bond books higher than 11+(11-12 and 12-13) are any good?
5) S&S comprehension and springboard books(higher)
6) I was thinking of buying Galore park books (used by Indies) to see if they have a better coverage (if not 100%). But I would like to have advice before I buy them as the are £££s. Having said that the second hand ones on amazon cost little less.
I wonder if this is where the Indies are better than the state schools i.e they have concrete directions backed up by good materials?

My DD is put for l.6 maths and reading both and I am in the same boat as you. I looked at one of the past years' l.6 SPAG papers and found that the spellings were tricky i.e double 'e' or double 'a' kind of words, typical pitfalls for children but the grammar shouldn't be that hard.

I had a look at S&S and Bond(10-11) comprehension and thought it was hard. Hard in the sense it will need lot of maturity to understand the passage to answer the given questions. But that may just be me. S&S comprehension have no answers so I find it more difficult so I don't find myself competent enough to mark her answers. Perhaps I should talk to the school.

I hope this helps.
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

http://webarchive.nationalarchives.gov. ... node/20683" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Level 6 APP guidelines on here - don't buy Galore Park it is not aligned to NC.
berks_mum

Post by berks_mum »

G55, agree GP is not aligned to NC. However, maths is still maths. How different it can it be? Does it cover 80-90% of NC?
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

I would guess the 'style' of question would not focus so much on problem solving as the level 6 test does. The book is written for a different purpose.