Maths

11 Plus Maths – Preparation and Information

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
rejim2

Re: Maths help again

Post by rejim2 »

Thanks to all again.

One more question- thx a lot in advance!!

Joe is 34 year old now and his son is 4 years. In how many years Joe will be four times that of his son's age. ?

Just did randomly and got 6 years .

Another question of the same type asked,

If Jay is 9 years and his uncle is five times the age as of Jay now, in how many years his uncle is twice as the age of Jay. ( could n't work out)

Appreciate a common approach to these type of questions.
ToadMum

Post by ToadMum »

rejim2 wrote:Thanks to all again.

Joe is 34 year old now and his son is 4 years. In how many years Joe will be four times that of his son's age. ?

If Jay is 9 years and his uncle is five times the age as of Jay now, in how many years his uncle is twice as the age of Jay. ( could n't work out)

With a thank you to DH and DS1, who wandered in as I was getting DS2 to have a go:

The answer is, when Jay is as old as the difference in their ages. Try it with other uncle / nephew age combos :) .
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx
rejim2

Re: Maths

Post by rejim2 »

Thx Toadmum for your family team work... it helped!! :)
Proud_Dad

Post by Proud_Dad »

ToadMum wrote:
rejim2 wrote:Thanks to all again.

With a thank you to DH and DS1, who wandered in as I was getting DS2 to have a go:

The answer is, when Jay is as old as the difference in their ages. Try it with other uncle / nephew age combos :) .
Yes you're right, that does work with any age combination as long as you're looking for one age being twice the other. It's a neat trick. Can anyone explain why it works (i.e. what's the maths behind it)? I feel like it should be obvious but I can't quite see it.
Proud_Dad

Post by Proud_Dad »

Proud_Dad wrote: Yes you're right, that does work with any age combination as long as you're looking for one age being twice the other. It's a neat trick. Can anyone explain why it works (i.e. what's the maths behind it)? I feel like it should be obvious but I can't quite see it.
DOH! Just realised its obvious. :oops:

The difference in ages will always be the same so of course the older one will be twice the age of the younger one when the younger ones age is the same as the age difference.

Ah well it is Monday morning so perhaps my brain hadn't woken up yet! :)
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now