New national curriculum - one year in - what do you think?

11 Plus Maths – Preparation and Information

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
mystery

New national curriculum - one year in - what do you think?

Post by mystery »

I have a year 4 child - being quoted end year 4 as "exceeding" under the new curriculum, 4a under the old curriculum (don't know how they tested or assessed either of these levels). I'd say this child is slower, less accurate and knows less maths than older child did at end of year 4 on the old national curriculum although being quoted the same old NC level.

I find it hard to believe she could get to the same place as the older child by end of year 5 ready for the 11 plus test despite being similar ability. I'd say she has covered the year 4 new NC curriculum but that it's been a watered down offering compared with older sibling in top group for maths under old national curriculum.

Anyone else got an old / new comparison from either side of the fence?
kal12003

Re: New national curriculum - one year in - what do you thin

Post by kal12003 »

Dd1 is in year 6, under old system. Dd2 is in year 5 under new system. If I'm honest it's all rather confusing. Dd1 is leaving all 5B's across the board, DD2 should be, based on levels up to year 4, on par with dd1. She is more capable in Maths & has covered work that has not yet been touched on with dd1 however, her end of term reports have given a level of exceeding for reading but only working at stage 5 (ie average) for maths & english.

I spoke with the teacher yesterday and was assured she is technically what they call stage 6 ready but they can not put that on the report and that the level is from a specific test in maths so depends how they peform on the day. Dd3 is in year 2 and has achieved level 3's across the board in her ks1 sats - I will be very interested to see how she is measured in year 3 as she is the most academically able of my dd's
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now