New maths curriculum for KS2 - implications for 11+ ?

11 Plus Maths – Preparation and Information

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

mystery

Re: New maths curriculum for KS2 - implications for 11+ ?

Post by mystery »

I wrote a week ago asking for more appropriate homework. The class work is a state secret apart from the snippets I drag out from my child under torture! So I suppose I will be told the class work is just right and the homework is designed to be short, boring and easy because they are not obliged to set homework. Other parents have apparently spoken to the teacher and been told she has to speak to the maths coordinator.
Why do the Hamilton trust year 4/5 maths plans talk about the pressure to teach the whole class the same objective?
yoyo123

Post by yoyo123 »

I've sent you a PM , Mystery.
mystery

Post by mystery »

Ah thank; I have replied. What do you think we should do? Homework this weekend is adding I have described, classwork had moved on to multiplication - the rest of this term has mostly been addition and subtraction so far as I can gather ..... this week 4 digits x 1 digit with grid method, 4 digits x 2 digits by the grid method, compact method x 1 digit, then some problems for which only multiplication was needed (so to me that's not really problem solving) and might have included multiplying by 2 digits although that had apparently not been covered in class except by the grid method. Child described as 4a/ exceeding at end of year 4. 30 mins of maths about three times a week is a whole class attempt at Numbershark i.e. they do not each have numbershark on their own computer, it is on the whiteboard and the whole class somehow does it together.

Do teachers have to consult the maths co-ordinator these days before providing more appropriate homework?

why does Hamilton Trust site say what it says about whole class objectives? There is no such rule written out in the new national curriculum. I've looked at the Hamilton Trust year 4/5 plans - the ones you can look at free of charge without downloading etc and although I think they look pretty rubbish to follow, they look better than what is being descrbied to me i.e. more complex than the material which seems to be on offer. Children can choose which piece of work they do - 3 "levels" in class, all the same for homework. DD is chooing hardest stuff in class.
Hajra

Post by Hajra »

mystery wrote:Ah thank; I have replied. What do you think we should do? Homework this weekend is adding I have described, classwork had moved on to multiplication - the rest of this term has mostly been addition and subtraction so far as I can gather ..... this week 4 digits x 1 digit with grid method, 4 digits x 2 digits by the grid method, compact method x 1 digit, then some problems for which only multiplication was needed (so to me that's not really problem solving) and might have included multiplying by 2 digits although that had apparently not been covered in class except by the grid method. Child described as 4a/ exceeding at end of year 4. 30 mins of maths about three times a week is a whole class attempt at Numbershark i.e. they do not each have numbershark on their own computer, it is on the whiteboard and the whole class somehow does it together.

Do teachers have to consult the maths co-ordinator these days before providing more appropriate homework?

why does Hamilton Trust site say what it says about whole class objectives? There is no such rule written out in the new national curriculum. I've looked at the Hamilton Trust year 4/5 plans - the ones you can look at free of charge without downloading etc and although I think they look pretty rubbish to follow, they look better than what is being descrbied to me i.e. more complex than the material which seems to be on offer. Children can choose which piece of work they do - 3 "levels" in class, all the same for homework. DD is chooing hardest stuff in class.
Not keen on Hamilton trust at all- way too prescriptive for my liking. It would probably take less time to write your own lesson plan than read the teams they put in theirs. This new curriculum has a greater focus on depth so chn should be practising in a range of ways. My understanding is if they can add then fine - make them add measures, time, solve word problems using adding in different ways , know when to use which method etc ( choose appropriately between mental and written methods ).Making chn do pages of calculations is simply not deepening their learning.
Hajra

Post by Hajra »

Reams * not teams lol
mystery

Post by mystery »

Yes, exactly what I thought. I could not really work out what the plan I was reading meant for year 4/5 and I have taught to A level.

Yes, the adding needs to be out to various different uses as you say and, to me, by year 5 doing problems which involve adding the only numbers in the word problem is a little poor - no thinking as been needed to solve the problem.

So what should parents do when faced by stuff like this? We are almost one sixth of the way through the year. Can do more at home but it is not really fair that school is so far behind at the moment. Sure it is the same for a lot in the class. The ks1 results for this group were very good.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now